98 stalling

My pathy wants to die but not until it gets warmed up. It just started doing this a couple days ago . Starts fine then just shuts off when warmed up then won't start til cool. :scratchhead: Check engine light is on.

Edited by PaMountianbiker

I've just started checking this out and I don't own a scanner for the codes don't need smart ass answers. I thought maybe someone could offer some advice on what to check out first ???

You should post this in the W21 forum, maybe the R50 are hanging out there. LoL Hope you get it fixed soon. I guess since you swapped the new motor in recently I would start by checking connections that may be loose. That's all I've got.

My pathy wants to die but not until it gets warmed up. It just started doing this a couple days ago . Starts fine then just shuts off when warmed up then won't start til cool. :scratchhead: Check engine light is on.

The FSM has the exact diagnostic procedure for that. I would start with the EGR valve, check it for sticking. If that doesn't do it, go rent a scanner, which is sometimes FREE, at your nearest auto parts store.

Had an Xterra do that exactly the same issue get hot die cool down run like a champ, ended up as the distributor. Threw all kinds of codes but they were irrelevant as they were a result of the failing distributor.

But a code reader is pretty much a requirement, far to many sensors and other electronics that can mess up and you can not diagnose those easily.

Sounds like you are in a tight spot. It won't start AT ALL when warm? Dose it sound like it's trying to? Dose giving it some gas pedal have any effect on hot start?

I had a vacuum hose come loose off my intake while driving on a washboard forest road and engine died, CEL and everything. It would start if I gave it some gas but would die if I let off. I'm thinking if my engine had cooled off it might have started, because the MAF reading was wrong because of the large intake leak, and I thought I heard somewhere that the ECU dose not take MAF readings until the engine is warm. Or is that o2 fuel trim?

I don't know man, good luck I hope you fix it.

Edited by clkindred

Had an Xterra do that exactly the same issue get hot die cool down run like a champ, ended up as the distributor. Threw all kinds of codes but they were irrelevant as they were a result of the failing distributor.

But a code reader is pretty much a requirement, far to many sensors and other electronics that can mess up and you can not diagnose those easily.

I fixed it based on what you said. I took all the guts out of my dead motors distributer and now she runs like a top again .. Thank you !!!!!!

Glad to be of help, took me 3 weeks of cursing a blue streak to figure mine out. Just keep an eye on it for a couple of weeks, to make sure. Cause you know Murphy, 100 miles from nowhere and it will do the same thing. :)