95 pathy No speedometer, question on type of fluids as well

elcid2010

Hi Guys, so I a noob on this board but not a noob with Nissan! I have a 95 pathy, 300ZX TT and an Altima.

Anyhow, I have a few question to ask, please bear with me.

1. I am driving down the highway then all of sudden my speedomter stopped working. The check engine light came on as well. From the research I have done, it appears the issue might be the speedometer. Is it easy to replace? I have read reports that its a bitch to get out. True ? false?

2.I will be changing the tranny oil on my pathy. Do you guys know what type of ATF does it uses? is there a problem using ATF dextron III on a dextron II vehicle? is dextron downward compatible? just wondering

3. What type of oil does my transfer cases uses? rear/front axle? I would like to change them fluids as well.

Thanks guys, sorry about all the questions!

Hey there.

Welcome to the forums. It's good to have you.

There are a lot of resources around here to be taken advantage of. They are all over.

I have heard of issues with the dash cluster in general, but I don't think I've heard of problems with the speedo specifically. Maybe the cable came loose. Replacing your speedometer (if that is the problem) would probably be one of the easiest jobs on a Pathfinder. I can personally get my entire cluster out in about 5 mins and put a new one in in another 5 mins. You could do the same. If you wanted to keep your cluster, and only change speedos, then that might take an extra 15 mins because you have to be careful.

I did some quick looking and I found some links for you

Automatic transmission fluid change You definitely want to change your ATF fluid on a regular basis. I don't care what anyone says about keeping your old fluid in there. These Pathfinders need the fluid changed about once every 15k miles.

Changing your A/T filter This isn't really that important because the A/T filter only catches big things. I guess that's necessary, but extremely unlikely. You want a small, in-line filter. I'm sure one of our members, Towncivilian, will come around and educate you on that.

Auto trans temp gauge The A/Ts in these vehicles have a habit of overheating fast if the trans cooler gets clogged (a whole 'nother conversation). You might want to install a temp. gauge to keep an eye on the status of your trans.

Lube specs Check this link out for the quantities of lube that your WD21 needs. Your differentials take 75w-90 Gl-5 fluid This is some good stuff. Google coupons for Advance Auto Parts, and you can save a lot. Your T-case takes ATF or gear oil apparently. I'm pretty confused, but I just put gear oil in mine. This is also on that lube specs page I linked.

MAF cleaning.Here's a thread on how to clean your MAF sensor. This is just something quick and easy that will boost your MPGs and power to what they used to be and should be.

There ya go. That should keep your occupied and out of our forums for a good while!! :jk: Come back soon

It's called "Dexron", not "Dextron". Everything but Dexron VI is no longer licensed and you really don't know whether the fluid meets specs if you purchase a Dexron 3 or older fluid. Dexron VI is supposed to be backwards compatible, but some have had issues with the thinner starting viscosity of Dex VI with other vehicles. Dex VI apparently starts out where Dex III would shear to rather quickly, so theoretically there should be no problem using it. But generally, any fluid that claims it meets Dexron III standards will suffice.

Install a 3/8" size Magnefine in-line filter on the return line from the transmission cooler (the hose on the passenger side of the vehicle).

Edited by Towncivilian

Mobil 1 ATF should work great. It's recommended for use where Dexron III is specified.

Thanks guys, love this site! tonight, I will fully charge my IPOD and do some heavy reading, lol. Thanks for the info. That microfilter for the tranny could come handy with my Auto TTZ as well!. My Z just as the pathy seems to plug up the radiator cooler ( for the tranny oil ) so, I may just as well install it!.

I am also very lucky to have a pathy with not much rust so part of my plan is to do some rust proofing with the anti rust cans you get from the stores.

thanks everyone!

Hi Guys, so I a noob on this board but not a noob with Nissan! I have a 95 pathy, 300ZX TT and an Altima.

Anyhow, I have a few question to ask, please bear with me.

1. I am driving down the highway then all of sudden my speedomter stopped working. The check engine light came on as well. From the research I have done, it appears the issue might be the speedometer. Is it easy to replace? I have read reports that its a bitch to get out. True ? false?

2.I will be changing the tranny oil on my pathy. Do you guys know what type of ATF does it uses? is there a problem using ATF dextron III on a dextron II vehicle? is dextron downward compatible? just wondering

3. What type of oil does my transfer cases uses? rear/front axle? I would like to change them fluids as well.

Thanks guys, sorry about all the questions!

Welcome to the board! Yeah, there is lots of good infor here to keep your 'Finder on the road for a long time. It sounds like you are loosing a speedo head. They are electrical speedometers, so no cable to loose. There is a sensor in your transfer case that sends a signal to the speedo, then on to the ECM. No signal passed speedo is why the check engine light came on. It is not a hard job at all. IIRC, its about 8 or so screws and the whole thing is out. Then you just pull it from the cluster assemlby(4 tiny screws) after removing the cluster. Unfortunatly, there is no aftermarket option available. You can order on from a dealer or see Vendors section for Genuine Nissan parts(Rob is a member here). If you chose to pull one form a junk yard, be sure the mileage is comparable, so you dont get into trouble with Johnny Law(check local laws in reguards to odometer statements).

95's did not take a special fluid. Nissan fluid is Matic-D, but is fairly close to most universal fluids. The best bet is to install a external cooler and bypass the cooler in the radiator(its what kills our autos), then have the whole system flushed.

I run ATF in my transfer case. Some others run gear oil. I would stick with whatever comes out(if you can tell).

Your front and rear axles should run 80-90w.

You may want to check out the garage section for how-to's for more info, if you havent already.

Welcome to the board! Yeah, there is lots of good infor here to keep your 'Finder on the road for a long time. It sounds like you are loosing a speedo head. They are electrical speedometers, so no cable to loose. There is a sensor in your transfer case that sends a signal to the speedo, then on to the ECM. No signal passed speedo is why the check engine light came on. It is not a hard job at all. IIRC, its about 8 or so screws and the whole thing is out. Then you just pull it from the cluster assemlby(4 tiny screws) after removing the cluster. Unfortunatly, there is no aftermarket option available. You can order on from a dealer or see Vendors section for Genuine Nissan parts(Rob is a member here). If you chose to pull one form a junk yard, be sure the mileage is comparable, so you dont get into trouble with Johnny Law(check local laws in reguards to odometer statements).

95's did not take a special fluid. Nissan fluid is Matic-D, but is fairly close to most universal fluids. The best bet is to install a external cooler and bypass the cooler in the radiator(its what kills our autos), then have the whole system flushed.

I run ATF in my transfer case. Some others run gear oil. I would stick with whatever comes out(if you can tell).

Your front and rear axles should run 80-90w.

You may want to check out the garage section for how-to's for more info, if you havent already.

Thank you for your reply as well!.

I never knew the problem could be the cluster console, I thought it would be the sensor , the one located at the rear of the tranny ( speedsensor )

I am going to the junk yard and see if I can pull it out.

In regards to the tranny cooler, is that something a screwdriver mechanic could do? I will check the FAQs , maybe I can find a pictorial on how this gets done.

The transmission cooler is not that difficult. Maybe a day in the driveway for someone less expierenced. I search for topics for more info to help you out..........

http://npora.ipbhost.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&section=search&do=search&fromsearch=1

(you may have to type in "transmission cooler", mark the box that says Search Titles only, then the Search Now button at the bottom)

Its some reading, but good info from lots of different members.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

You said you check engine light came on when the speedo quit working.

A quick thing you can do is check the ecu to see what trouble code you have and go from there. here is a link http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=21

I'm willing to bet that the code will be (Code 14 Vehicle Speed Sensor) mine did the exact same thing a few months ago very easy to replace but also before you get one check to see if it is a loose connection.

If you're junkyard picking a sensor, keep in mind, Pathys were offered with two stock tire sizes, 29s and 31s. I'm pretty sure the sensor is different between them. You can check the info plate in the driver's door jamb to see which you're looking for. Also, the 94 and 95 were the only years of the WD21 with the round dashboard/electronic speedo.

Also, before doing the rear diff, check if it's limited slip. If it is, it'll have an orange sticker on the back of the diff that says 'LSD oil only,' and it'll need special fluid. If not, it's the same as the front.

Also, before doing the rear diff, check if it's limited slip. If it is, it'll have an orange sticker on the back of the diff that says 'LSD oil only,' and it'll need special fluid. If not, it's the same as the front.

Many gear oils today contain LS additives already.