Timing Belt Question

AED1999

Had mine in for brakes the other day...with about 115k miles...(I've already put 4k on it)..the mechanic had asked if I had the timing belt replaced yet..I didnt know.

My question is instead of hoping it has..is there some way of checking, short of dismantling components?

And is there a average cost involved?

Usually if it was changed the mechanic or owner would put a sticker on the rad support .

that's a good little trick.

it depends how long you have owned the vehicle. Did you say you owned it for only 4k miles, or you have put 4k on it since you took it in for the brakes?

If you have only owned it for 4k miles, then I would suggest asking the previous owner. You can also check for indications like stickers like PA said, or look in the owners manual for maintenance records. I believe in the back of the owners manual there is a chart for things like that.

If you got a pile of receipts in the buy of the vehicle, there might be one for the timing belt. An oil change, I doubt it, but something bigger like a t-belt replacement, it is more likely.

You might want to look for other indicators such as new parts. New acc. belts and pulleys, things like that

You could look for wear/tool marks on the T-belt cover bolts. I'm not sure if they have screw driver slots or just the hex pattern, but likely there are scoring marks on the bolts if they have been removed. If you can't tell, try to remove one. If it is stiff and stubborn, they probably haven't been removed...ever. If they are easy to remove, then they were likely sprayed with PB and removed somehow.

If all else fails, go with your gut. If the guy you bought it from was kind of a bum and lazy, then I would be safe and just change the timing belt. If you bought it from a guy who took it to the dealer for every little thing, then you are probably safe.

But then again, you might just want to do it yourself for insurance.

How about you just peek down at the front cover bolts and see if they have fresh tool marks on them? See if there is any evidence a cam seal is leaking(it will buildup with dust usually on the right side, next to the water pump). A good wrench would of cleaned it off during the job. I usually put the sticker on the rad support also, but I have found them on the hood, distributor cap, P/S resevior, upper timing cover, fan shroud, firewall and even found one on the LF door jamb. The sticker(if the belt was from nissan) is silver and there is a place to put mileage and the date it was replaced. It impresses and stays even if the ink is washed off.