'95 rust throughout body

Pelagic1

didn't rust proof? If Nissan didn't rust proof the metal, it would have rusted through within months. Pre-1996 vehicles had moderate rust prevention, but it was still easily penetrated. There are a few theories about the metal that Nissan used for frames was sub-quality and very vulnerable to rust. Besides that, post-1996 vehicles have plenty of problems with rust also.

What you can do is buff the body panels out and make some art work out of bondo. You could also replace the panels from a junkyard donor car or the like.

If it's the frame, try this or just cut out pieces of donor frame and weld them in.

Check these links out.

Front fender rust repair.This is for body panels. True craftsmanship here.

Post-1996 rust issues. No bueno.

Edited by 1994SEV6

Someone had told me that Nissan didn't start rust proofing the Pathfinder until 1996! We'll I have a '95 that is rusting throughout! Is there anything that I can do?

Even the 96+ Pathys have rust issues, just not as bad as the WD21's. Before you worry about the body, have you checked your frame? Give it a whack with a hammer above your rear axle, and pray it sounds solid. If your frame is good, and you can weld (or know of someone who can) there are few threads around here with people patching in panels.

I dunno, they painted it, but that's all the evidence of rust prevention I've seen. :shrug:

How much rust are we talking about? Surface rust, holes in the body, swiss cheese frame? Pics would help. :) Mine's got a little bit of surface rust around the sills, patches under the rear seats, a trench above the exhaust pipe, and patches above the rear axle... didn't even realize it was rotted through until I started beating on it with a hammer.

Panel replacement is probably the easiest way to deal with body rust in the fenders sills etc. Other spots may be better to patch. Whatever you do, make sure you grind or cut all the rust away before you sling putty! Ever seen a 'restored' car where the bodywork's blistering all over?

Someone had told me that Nissan didn't start rust proofing the Pathfinder until 1996! We'll I have a '95 that is rusting throughout! Is there anything that I can do?

Nissan rust proofed there vehicles but only to the standards of the year it was made just like most late 80's and early 90's vehicles most have rust some where heck even most vehicles that are only a few years old around here are rusting thats why i bought my pathfinder from arizona and drove it back home so i would have a totally rust free pathy.

But back to your question what part of your pathfinder is rusted?

Luckly there are alot of companies that sell new body and frame parts to get your pathfinder back in shape.

Is your frame rusted through in the back? Are the rocker panel rotted out?

Just tell us what part is rusted to give you some ideas.

I would like to thank everyone for their info on fixing or trying to control some of the rust that is dominating almost every part of my Pathy! The Path has 135,000 miles and I really believe that the rust will overtake the vehicle because any mechanical problems do. Allot of folks asked for photos so they can understand how bad this is. I will be online in a few weeks to show the extent of the rust problem.

Thanks

Bobby