Z24I Engine Timing

hcr32

Hey guys,

So heres my dilemma.

Got a 87 Hardbody 4x4 pickup a while ago. Gave it a full tune up, (Plugs, fuel filter, wires, cap, rotor, air filter) and when doing all this I noticed the distributor bolts were loose and the thing wwas just moving around by itself. So I guessed the timing would not be correct so I got out my timing light and tried to time it. I have the distributor fully retarded and it's still about 22 degress BTDC, I was reading it should be about 10-15 degrees BTDC but it won't go any lower. The timing is controlled by the ECU on this thing so I really don't know what to do to get it any lower.

Also, reading about this motor too is that the distributor only goes in one way if you take it out so Im guessing if for some reason it was out (Previous owner said it wasn't) it couldn't go in wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Yes, dual plugs. When I changed the plug wires i had a diagram to go off so Im very sure it is correct however I will double check.

The other reason your timing will go out of advance is due to a faulty camshaft position sensor, which is right in the distributor for older Nissan trucks. You might need to change the entire distributor.

Also, reading about this motor too is that the distributor only goes in one way if you take it out so Im guessing if for some reason it was out (Previous owner said it wasn't) it couldn't go in wrong.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I had a 2WD 87 I picked up from a tow yard when I was 18. For some strange reason, the distributor was a complete 180 degrees from where it should of been. The PO or whoever did it had rigged a washer to hold the distributor like that. I put the distributor back how it should of been but it would never run right until I got a new distributor.

I'll check the diagnostic mode and see what I get out of that. Might just buy a new distributor...They aren't as expensive as I thought..