Custom build - r50 pathy aluminum diff guard.

smooth ripples or row of dimes?  

6 members have voted

1. 1. Should i make the weld with smooth ripples or give it that stack of dimes look?

• No need to show off its just a guard, smooth ripples.
    • The row of dimes look super cool, row of dimes.

In this topic I will be goin through the process of designing, fabricating and installing an aluminum diff. guard for my pathy.

this is my first post so i hope im in the right spot. :huh: . this will be a work in progress so itll take some time for me to get this done (time is in really short order for me these days). Be patient! This is also my first time building a diff guard so tips and constructive criticism are welcome (stay away trolls!)

I am a welder by training and trade and can weld pretty much anything to anywhere so I chose an aluminum GTAW project.

This is what i got so far in the planning dept.:

-I will be using 6061 aluminum plate 5/16" thick

-Gas of choice 50/50 heli/argon

-4043 3/16" o.d. filler

-All joints will be back welded, gouged then full penetration welded

-After completion the guard will be "aged"

-1/8" 2% lanthinated electrode, balled

well this is it so far. if any other pro welders have any tips about set up for the machine, mats. ect, ect lemme know or ifs theres any vet. armor builders drop a tip if you can such as mounting points clearence from the diff ect, ect.

quik poll weld profile smooth ripples or row of dimes (no structural difference)

Update: The reasons im building this.

practice-working with thick aluminum. if and when i do weld aluminum its mostly thin stuff.

more practice-Ive been jonesin for an aluminum project

familiarization-i need a better idea of whats on the underside of my pathy so imma crawl under it a bit

materials testing-will 5/16" 6061 aluminum plate be enuff for moderate off road? hell idk but imma find out.

future projects-if the aluminum preforms wells a front skid goes from and idea to planning.(maybe some other stuff)

my cj7 jp-my pathfinder is jealous of my jeep (it has shiny bits underneath).

ooh shiny- imma simple guy and i like shiny bits hanging off my stuff and by shiny i mean brushed aluminum or ss.

I have givin my pathy a booboo- a rock, tall grass, up hill while turning is how i got it. it was no big deal it gnarled up a plug and left a nice gouge. the plug came out just fine and was replaced the gouge was filled in and it looks like nothing ever happened. i would have to say this was an exceptional event of me being dumb, heavy footed and to lazy to get out and check out the terrain.exception not rule.

Cause no one else has- why do people climb mountains? hell idk probably close to the main reason im building this "because i can" i know it really dosent need it .ive been scouring the r 50 forums long before i joined and i know this set up is pretty rock solid.

sabre2d over.

Edited by sabre2d

Are you asking about these? I had to google this. 1278513419223_Bead%20Comarison.jpg

So you want to weld a huge plate to protect your rear differential? So far, I think that's a unique idea. I don't think I've heard of it before. How will you bolt it up? If you bolt it to the frame, it would have to be large. You might find a way to secure it to the axle?

If you bolt it to the frame, then I think it would hinder the axle movement. If you need the guard, then I would assume you are going off roading. If you're going off-roading, I would assume you would want your rear axle to have as much movement and flex as needed.

I think this says it better than I do. NPORA-TOTM-11-SEP.jpg

No offense, but why? There's no need on a 3rd member diff like ours. If you had a diff cover like a Jeep, sure, but what benefit, other than protecting the drain plug, will it serve? I've seen, heard, and felt the beatings our axles take, and have never been left with anything more than a scratch.

Either way, stacked dimes, and yes, just because it looks cool.

Are you asking about these? I had to google this. 1278513419223_Bead%20Comarison.jpg

So you want to weld a huge plate to protect your rear differential? So far, I think that's a unique idea. I don't think I've heard of it before. How will you bolt it up? If you bolt it to the frame, it would have to be large. You might find a way to secure it to the axle?

If you bolt it to the frame, then I think it would hinder the axle movement. If you need the guard, then I would assume you are going off roading. If you're going off-roading, I would assume you would want your rear axle to have as much movement and flex as needed.

I think this says it better than I do. NPORA-TOTM-11-SEP.jpg

Well no I dont want a huge plate just an extra "skin" around the bottom half of my diff.I plan on a bolt on design coming off the tubes. As far as those weld pics go I will be using gtaw or tig as its more commonly known. Those pictures are a good representation of what they look like and i could do do it with gmaw (mig) set up but then i gotta change nozzle set up, liner dies..ect.the process would be easyer and faster but whats the fun in that? so imma tigit.and yes theres nothing like being "all flexed out" as my old buddy would say.

Edited by sabre2d

No offense, but why? There's no need on a 3rd member diff like ours. If you had a diff cover like a Jeep, sure, but what benefit, other than protecting the drain plug, will it serve? I've seen, heard, and felt the beatings our axles take, and have never been left with anything more than a scratch.

Either way, stacked dimes, and yes, just because it looks cool.

you are 100% right it really dosent need it. ive updated my original post to include why im doing it check it out if you want. and no offense taken i knew this project would raise a few eyebrows.(hence the "no trolls" in my post)