2000 SE Intermittent clunk and shake when accelerating

Northeaster

Hi folks,

I have a 2000 SE, 3.3litre, 4 wheel drive. (has about 170,000 miles on it)

Like the title says, I get an intermittent slight clunk or knock, sometimes accompanied by a vibration that stops after a couple of seconds, as I accelerate more, or let off the gas. It doesn't do it all of the time, but I think it does it in 4 wheel drive, as well as 2wheel drive, where it spends most of the time.

I thought it maye be the rear drive shaft U joints, so I replaced those. Old ones looked good anyway, lots of grease, not sticking or anything. When I put shaft back in, and drove for 30 minutes, I thought I had it beat, but then it started again....

Could the front shaft U joints make the truck clunk / shake when applying the gas in 2 wheel drive??

Or, is it more likley the torque converter, or something else??

Any help would be appreciated!!

it could be the front because the r50 have drive flange which means they are always turning the front driveshaft (even in 2wd)... it's just that they do not receive torque from the transfer case.... remove the front drive shaft, stay in 2wd and do a road test.... you;ll know right away... and it takes about 20 minutes to remove it...so no big deal...

Thanks for the advice. I should have just taken the front on off first, and did a test drive like you said, and then I would not have did all the work to remove the back ones, which really looked to be in good shape.

The only problem with a test drive, is that the problem didn't show up again until about a 1/2 hour of driving after putting the back shaft back in. Not sure why - maybe coincidence, or maybe because the fluids were very cold. I never really noticed if the problem shows up more when the truck is warm, than in the 1st few minutes of driving.

I have the same problem and did the same thing replaced the u joint at the back,let us know if removing the front will solve the problem. I am thinkin of torque converter but I don't know how to start. Just to add I had replaced the timing belt,plugs,coil ,cover fuel filter but I think the engine is still sluggish,I also replaced all under chasis bushing. I've spent a lot but still not happy how she runs, hope somebody here can share ideas. Thank you

Have not had time to try removing the front shaft yet, hopefully this weekend.

I am also leaning towards the torque converter. My brother is a mechanic, but lives 5 hours away, so I can't get him lo look at it. He did tell me to try turning off overdrive / pushing in tow button, to see if it still did it. It seems to still shudder somewhat, but doesn't clunk or shudder as hard, so this may be leaning me to think it is the torque converter.

Have not had time to try removing the front shaft yet, hopefully this weekend.

I am also leaning towards the torque converter. My brother is a mechanic, but lives 5 hours away, so I can't get him lo look at it. He did tell me to try turning off overdrive / pushing in tow button, to see if it still did it. It seems to still shudder somewhat, but doesn't clunk or shudder as hard, so this may be leaning me to think it is the torque converter.

Just let us know if it solves the problem,

Edited by qatcool

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i had that same thing happen to me... it was my trailing arm bushings they we're pretty worn out.. my whole axle would shift when hitting the gas and letting go of it... one trick you can do to see if there kinda messed up is put your hand break on and rock your pathy with the e-break on and take a look at your axle.. if you see that it's it's shifting some ur bushing might be tost... there are a total of 8 bushings within the rear trailing arms