Engine sound diagnosis breakdown

Precise1

There have been a lot of engine noise related questions recently, and I ran across this from working on many different year Pathfinders; starting in the 1998 FSM there is a Noise, Vibration and Harshness trouble shooting guide! While it is basic and set up for the VG33, The only difference with the VG30 is where some of the accessories are located (alternator, power steering pump, etc). This guide and a mechanic's stethescope should get you narrowed down fairly easily.

EM7-EM8, check it out.

http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/pathfinder/1998_Pathfinder/em.pdf

Might as well chime in with things that aren't listed so maybe we can get a comprehensive guide together.

Thanks all and good luck. :beer:

B

Thats pretty cool. I have this god awful whistle that goes up and down with RPM's. If you barely move the throttle cable while under the hood, it gets more high pitched. Its not a belt or the alternator. It sorta sounds electrical, if that makes any sense. For some reason I think its the TPS, but even with a stethoscope I just cant pinpoint it. The girl I bought it from said its always sounded like that, and they changed the timing belt so I dont think its that either. If goes away every now and then, but usually not for long.