replacing cv axle soon

hillbillybob

Ive got a broken right front cv axle and I checked around and autozone had the best price with a lifetime warranty but when i went to order it the person helping me said they were the same side to side. I also looked at the napa website and they have different listings and part numbers for left and right sides. so i havent gone to pay for or pick up the axle yet but i wanted to make sure they were the same before i started in on this project. i heard we are supposed to finally get some snow so it about time to get it fixed before i need it.

I wouldn't think they're the same. The right shaft should be longer to account for the front diff being further left than center. Then again, if there's a second shaft on the right side, they could be the same size.

You could pull the broken axle and bring it with you to see if it's the right size. This also makes it easier to do a core exchange, if applicable. I know Saturn CV shafts have a core exchange at O'Reilly, Autozone, and Napa. That's how we did it when I smashed the front-right axle on the Saturn.

CV shafts themselves are interchanganle side to side,as Kingman stated the axle tubes are different lengths. Sometimes parts stores will list things like that to cover ther own backsides/could be different grade parts/ possibly looked up different years to get different part numbers (to account for different spline counts)?

The shafts are the same. If you get under there and look, there is a shaft coming off of the front diff to accommodate for it being asymmetrical. I would recommend getting parts like that from rockauto.com I think my CV shaft was like $45? $55 with shipping I think. Brand new shaft. I went to AAP and NAPA, they wanted something like $75 for some remanufactuered BS. and they wanted a huge core charge. I think NAPA wanted like $50 for a core. I was like WTF.

Edited by 1994SEV6

I got it taken care of yesterday and went in with little issue. I had to pull it all back apart cause i put that bronze looking washer on backwards so the snap ring didnt want to go on. the axle was $57 and the core charge was $100 which isnt a big deal cause i drive past it on the way to work. it says it has a limited lifetime warranty so if i do break it again, I SHOULD get a new one free of charge. they say they dont cover off roading but whos to say when and where i broke it at....

if they ask where i was driving when it broke my answer is going to be a road. it might not be much of a road..more like a 4 wheeler trail haha. but if they dont want to replace it ill go to the next autozone, there are like 3-4 in the area. and your right they arent going to want to warranty it very bad, but with some persuasion they should do it if I ever need to.