Driver Window won't roll down

AaronHorrocks

My driver Window won't roll down.

I figured that I burned out the motor, so I replaced the gearbox/motor assembly. But it will roll up, just not down.

I then figured the problem was in the switches, so I took that apart, cleaned, and tested it. That wasn't it.

I tested the motor assembly by directly applying 12V each way, and I confirmed that yes, it's operational. I now think that there's a wire in the harness - possibly at the hinge of the door that's been bent one too many times, and has finally given up.

I'm hoping that there's a relay somewhere for the window rolling down, that has blown, that I can replace...

The pass. window on my 94 was doing the almost the same thing, wouldn't go up, I pulled the door panel to run power to the motor to get it to roll up and that didn't work either, ended up unbolting the glass from the regulator and pushing the window up and securing it with some wooden wedges for the night. Pulled the motor and took it apart, wiped the copper windings down and put it back together and it worked both ways fine, re-installed it and it's worked perfect since.

As to your issue, the window switches are a common failure, I took my drivers side switch apart and jumped the contacts with a screwdriver to test it but ended up getting a new switch from a junkyard. Did you test to see if power is getting to the motor when you press the down button?

I had a problem with my pass. rear window would work from the door itself but not from the drivers master switch, traced it to a broken wire under the pass seat. I would download the FSM if you don't have it, here is the wiring schematic for the windows:

11uivti.jpg

kajk0n.jpg

I would bet it is still a problem with the switch, anyone near you that you can swap switches to test it?

Edited by ahardb0dy

Try disconnecting all your switches (mainly the front driver one) and clean all the connections on both sides and then reconnect them all. I did the same thing with installing a new window motor and found out it was the stupid switch contacts are dirty.