Warn Hub Woes

Chaser999

So for christmas I finally received my first real "mod" for my Pathy: warn manual locking hubs. I have done some looking around and asked a few questions in the forum and have found out that my stock 17" LE wheels will not fit over the new hubs. I have a questions/concerns/possibilities that I need some insight on .

1). I do not want to buy new wheels because that is money I dont have right now so that is out of the question

2). Is boring my wheels out the only way for this to work? I read somewhere (toyota site) that sometimes wheel spacers can be used but I doubt this, still a thought....

3). The bore size I have been told is 4 inches...is this correct?

4). Has anyone done this process on any of their vehicles and more specifically these wheels? Pictures maybe with the hubs installed and the 17's would be nice.

5). And if I decide to go this route, do I need any other parts to make this work?

I do not know much about this process and I'm still searching for a machinist that can do this for me. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated and some encouraging words would be nice as well.

Thanks in advance, Chase

How far off is it? How much metal has to come off? Personally if I were in the same situation, if it could not be done with a file and sand paper (like it needs serious reworking) I would not go that route. Just hold on to the hubs until you can afford different wheels, they don't NEED to go on NOW do they? I have most of an AC lift sitting in my closet for almost a year now waiting for the last bits to come in. Unless you just really like your wheels, in that case do what you gotta' do. :shrug:

Hi Chase,

I added manual hubs a few weeks ago, and also found that they don't fit under my stock wheels (in my case, 2003 SE 16" 6-spokes). However, luckily for me, I'm currently in "winter mode" running 1st gen Tacoma steelies (Toyota wheels on a Nissan...shhhh! :sssh:;) ) which fit over the hubs fine. I picked these up with tires on Craigslist for super cheap, so you never know - there may be a cheap enough set on there.

I wouldn't recommend trying spacers...I think they'd have to be like 3" or 4" thick to push the wheel far enough out to clear the hubs.

You might be able to bore the stock wheels out to fit, but I'd be worried that would weaken the wheels... From looking at my stock wheels, I figured you'd need to take maybe a 1/2" on material off the bore, which seemed like a lot to me. Might not be a problem, just my two cents.

Sorry, I'm not sure about the hub bore size. Just was hoping to add another point of view. Good luck, and I hope you find an answer...otherwise I'll be stuck when I go to put my summers back on!

Edited by someguy

Thanks for the input both of you. I have thought of the idea of finding some used wheels to run. I was considering the titan wheels and tires (with some cutting probably) but my only concern being that I have a six hour commute between my home and where I go to school which I take every month or so and I would rather being doing that on the brand new rubber I just bought which are some nicely treaded at's. I guess I have to search for some 17's in that case and swap them.....oh decisions. Modding your truck should not be like this...too many options, not enough money. :friday:

Keep the comments and suggetions coming, very much appreciated

-Chase

There is another thread here about Titan rims on a pathfinder and it seems those won't even fit over the stock hub without some machine work. So it seems shops CAN do this type of thing, have you talked to any about it?

I know a local guy with a machining tool but he's sick and cannot work for a couple of weeks but he still has not said whether or not he has the capability of doing it. The problem is after demounting my rims from the tires and paying the machinist I would be out more than what I paid for the hubs. I'm starting to think i might just wait until i can afford new rims and kill two birds with one stone.

I think i have decided to send the hubs back, and use the money for something I can use now. When I'm back working again and i have the money to both afford new wheels and the hubs, I might start again. Being I don't NEED the hubs immediately, I can do with out them and with the money. Such a bummer though, my first real mod and I hit a money-road block. Oh well, I guess my pathy can enjoy another few months of being stock...