Snow? Anyone? Not yet?

1994SEV6

All this cold weather makes me wonder..how does anyone work on their cars in the winter? Of all times, my dad had to change his oil last night when it was 25 degrees. He's been putting it off for weeks and he does it then. The whole time he was doing it (I was handing him tools and holding the light) I was thinking to myself "do it in the spring...do it in the spring...spring!!! warmer!!!"

I know some people probably have nice warm garages, but not me.

you kinda answered it yourself there :lol: theres a decent chunk on this board that WORK in the automotive field so we have access to full shops or are just in areas that don't have as chilly of winter months.

Monday and Tuesday there was a little bit of snow, enough to boost winter tire sales and cause a bunch of know it all pro drivers to wrap their cars around stuff (and it wasn't even bad) Been a pretty tame winter so far...

wow. Just curious, what part of Texas? I was in Houston for about a week when I was 12 years old or so. Out of curiosity I asked if they got snow and someone said something like "oh no, the only place in Texas that gets snow is Armadillo (probably remembering that completely wrong) which is 12 hours north"

I live in Dallas/Fort Worth. It snows once or twice a year, here, depending on El Niño. Right now, we're in La Niña, so I don't think it's gonna snow this time around.

In Amarillo (Not Armadillo; that's an animal. Amarillo is Spanish for "Yellow", which is what the soil was colored, due to rich helium deposits. Town was set up to mine helium, I'm completely serious) it snows more reliably. Amarillo is north of Albuquerque, New Mexico, though at a lower elevation.

It's about 12 hours north and west of Houston, for a Texan driver, but it's closer to 14 if you're relatively sane behind the wheel. Couldn't tell you how many miles; in Texas, distance is measured in units of time xD I do know I'd have to drive 3 or 4 hours to get to Louisiana, 11 to get to New Mexico through El Paso, 2-3 hours to Oklahoma, and 7 hours to Galveston. The habitable part of this state is too damn big.

Yesterday it was about 35 degrees. This morning it was a brisk 14F.

All this cold weather makes me wonder..how does anyone work on their cars in the winter?

how to people in Alaska and Canada EVER do car work?

Your high is my low.

Easy, live in California.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=95403

The dumb bastages wait for their penguins to do it for them... :tongue:

B

My parents have a house in Creede Colorado. Its normally anywhere from 0-30 for the high in the winter. When my stepdad has to work on a car in the unheated garage, he just dresses warm and grabs the propane heater.

Your high is my low.

Easy, live in California.

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=95403

The dumb bastages wait for their penguins to do it for them... :tongue:

B

thanks for the link -___-

I'm envious.

My parents have a house in Creede Colorado. Its normally anywhere from 0-30 for the high in the winter. When my stepdad has to work on a car in the unheated garage, he just dresses warm and grabs the propane heater.

yep.yep.

The extra clothing really helps. Tonight, I was wearing sweat pants under some stupid baggy pants I hate under some other baggy pants with paint all over them. I can't really walk very fast, but I didn't feel a thing. I put the pockets of the outer-most jeans into the pockets of the middle pair. That makes for some damn warm pockets.

It's not just the uncomfortable temperature, it affects a lot of other things. Last night, I spend 1.5 hours putting a quart of gear oil into my front diff. via a thin plastic tube. That was slowwwwww. I don't think it would have been that much faster if it was warmer, but the tube sure would have been more flexible.