backfire / popping

bonehead

i get some backfire / popping in the throttle body / intake area. what would cause that??

uh.no you don't.

You can't have "backfire" in the throttle body. lol. It's physically impossible.

Backfire is when you have post-combustion in the exhaust.

Popping might be your injectors.

Is this at high RPMs or all across the spectrum?

Lies!!!

Back fire through intake

It burns dont it. Timing related.

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat's something else entirely. dat engine.

Ok, you're right. I was going to include the phrase "unless your engine is running backwards", but I didn't think it was necessary.

I guess I was wrong.

yes the truck runs. ok more of a popping/bogging sound and it only happens when the truck is warmed up and can't rev over 3k rpm. i had the truck over 1yr now and about a month ago this started.

Edited by bonehead

Only reason for a belt to skip a tooth is if the tensioner broke or the belt is so old it's way stretched. Run a compression test on it or set the engine at TDC and see where the rotor in the distributor is pointing. If everything is good it should be pointing directly left if you're facing the engine. A bad MAF can cause backfiring through the intake as well as it somewhat control timing, not often though.

If the distributor was in backwards the engine would not even turn over with the starter. Chevys and Fords yeah, these no.

Chances are that the last timing belt done was not properly tensioned or installed. If the belt is only a tooth off, the valves don't get smacked. You will just get random misfire and timing problems. Replacing the timing belt is probably the best idea.

Edited by Tungsten

If the distributor was in backwards the engine would not even turn over with the starter. Chevys and Fords yeah, these no.

I had my distributor in 180 degrees off once (because I was at #4TDC not #1TDC) and it turned over until my muffler blew up. If that's what you mean by backwards. It won't start up though!

timing belt and timing is fine. i been hearing about the crankshaft sensor would make the truck hesitate, bogg out and even stall when engine warms up. is that true?

generally, a faulty crankshaft sensor will prevent your vehicle from starting. If it does manage to start, it would stall very quickly.

that could be a problem too which you can test for with the ECU diagnostic procedure (see howto section)

there is a fail safe mode that the ECU will go into

unlike TBI, the MFI trucks will run with a bad CPS just very poorly

• 2 years later...