Ended up in a ditch last night

iPath

I was driving on a rural road going around 40 or so cautiously, since it had snowed the previous day and the roads were still iced over in places. I was cruising along when out of nowhere I began sliding towards the opposite lane. I tried to steer back but didn't want to over correct and before I knew it I was spinning 180 degrees down into the opposite ditch. In my mind I was mentally ready to roll when I went off the road because I was heading down the grade sideways. Somehow I didn't, and I came to a standstill with the help of a snow drift, facing the opposite way I had been going. I put her into 4wd and was able to drive away fine. Don't see damage of any sort and she drove fine today. Anyways, just thought I'd share. Was quite the scare and it seems I sure did get a little lucky! Drive safe out there..

Edited by iPath

I had a similar experience, although it was in the rain. It was in the early morning and I was driving myself and my buddy to school. It had rained the previous night. I was making a right turn onto the main road at the foot of a bridge. I hit the gas too quickly and hydroplaned; my back end started sliding clockwise and I was about to hit a guard rail. I quickly turned the wheel to the left to the lock (and probably hit the gas a bit if I recall correctly), and this sent me toward oncoming traffic. I slammed the brakes and managed to stop about an inch inside the oncoming lane, narrowly missing a large pickup truck which didn't even seem to notice me. I reversed a bit, then merged with oncoming traffic and stopped at a gas station to calm down. No damage, and boy was I glad.

This is the area in question. And come to think of it, what I just posted isn't overwhelmingly similar to what you did. D'oh. Oh well, it's an interesting story nonetheless...

I'm glad that you made it out alright and with no damage!

Edited by Towncivilian

I had this happen when I flew to Colorado to buy my 87 Nissan 200sx with the vg30 under the hood, had just rolled over 113,000 miles, 230 miles in to the 1500 mile trip home, and I hit a patch of black ice. spun 270* in to the median in Wyoming. only thing going through my head was "i'm about to total my new car" but I was able to drive out of the snowy median, even with 1 wheel drive!