auto to manual hub swap

1994SEV6

I bought some Nissan OEM hubs the other day to swap out for my auto hubs. When I got the hubs in the mail, they looked very foreign to me, but I thought it would all make sense when I got my autos off.

Well, after struggling with the bolts for a good while, I finally got my hubs off. There's a lot of black goop. Some red lube on the drivers one. The bolts have some shavings on them that smell like charred plastic.

They look a bit different and I'm not sure I can figure this out on my own. Here are some pictures if someone could guide me.

Thanks in advance

2011-11-25134557.jpg

2011-11-25134547.jpg

2011-11-25134740.jpg

2011-11-25135901.jpg

Edited by 1994SEV6

What can't you figure out exactly? They are a direct swap so long as you have the correct spline count. Of course they look different - they're a completely different design.

Black goo is probably original Nissan grease and the red stuff is someone else's. Or one hub failed and burned up making black goo and charred plastic.

There's a lot of info on hub swappage if you :search:

Edited by Kingman

Yes, I am not sure what you are asking.

Have you downloaded the FSM from the Garage section and looked at that section to familiarize yourself?

B

you guys are right. I should do some searching and read the FSM. I'll do that right now

you guys are right. I should do some searching and read the FSM. I'll do that right now

Which is a good idea before starting threads or giving advice to anyone. Always good to double check before hitting submit. :aok:

I typed all kinds of things into the search bar and I couldn't find a write up on auto to manual hub conversion. I found a lot of questions about how/how much manual hubs improve MPGs though.

I decided to just go for it. I took all the parts of the auto hub off until I got to the circular plate that has the two tiny screws.I found a yummy present from the previous owner. Some nice rounded screws. Then I put the manual hub on. Then I put the snap ring in. (Boy did those snap rings kick my @SS.) so I got the passenger hub all good. I spun the front diff and the passenger wheel turned. WOOT! but of course the driver side wheel didn't turn because it still had the auto hub. I repeated the process for the drivers side.

It didn't work ;( when on FREE, the CV shaft will turn. when in LOCK, the CV shaft will not turn. If I turn the wheel while it's in lock, it will spin the CV shaft. What's going on here?

It's an open diff, so only spinning one wheel sounds normal to me. You aren't going to get better gas mileage than with the auto hubs though.... since they automatically unlock. Manual hubs are only going to help mileage when you replace drive flanges like on the R50 which are ALWAYS "locked." This allows you to unlock them. Anyway, manual hubs are tougher than the autos anyway, so still a good mod.

• Like 1