Found extra wiring after removing torn bumper cover

xplitive

Well I accidentally slid my 2001 SE off a slick road and tore the front bumper cover. When removing the turn signals to get to some of the bumper attaching points I found a taped up harness with a blue plug on each side. It seems to have enough length to reach the bumper, is this an installed factory harness for optional fog lights? If so, any recommendations for lights, I wouldn't mind putting them to use.

This site has been a great help - discovered I had the "stuff" from the factory for a remote key fob, found one on ebay and it works great! It was kind of a PITA with only one lock cylinder on the drivers side.

Not sure about a pathfinder but the titans come like that. The wiring is there, all you have to do to add the fog lights is change the turn signal stalk to one with the fog light switch and install fog lights and plug them in. Some guys said the relay was already in the relay box others said they had to add it.

James

soooo... has anyone done this? And where in a factory equipped one is the on/off button for fog lights? I have two locations each with two knock out plugs for switches - (1) center under the CD changer and (2) up on the left side of the dash by the side mirrors control. Or it is on the stalk? Don't think I will be going through the trouble to change out the stalk though..

On my FJ Cruiser, the A-TRAC switch is just like this, if you didn't order the option from the factory everything is present except for the actual switch. $20 part later you are good to go.

I wouldn't mind installing some other auxiliary lights using the factory harness if that is possible.

Edited by xplitive

The factory fog light switch is on the light stalk. Check junkyards, maybe you'll luck out and find fog lamps or a stalk. I know of a junkyard in West Palm that has an online inventory, but they don't have any R50s right now.

You can also get aftermarket fog lamps (I have an aftermarket driver's side lamp since mine got a hole in the glass - looks fine, fits just like OEM) for cheaper, and an OEM stalk (I wouldn't trust an aftermarket stalk) for around $68 - I'm pretty sure that's the correct one, but there are four variants. Aftermarket fog lamps are $45-50 each on RockAuto. I'd personally go with the TYC branded fogs. I don't know what brand my aftermarket fog is, but I have a TYC driver's side parking lamp assembly and it fits great and looks just like OEM.

Changing the stalk is easy. All you need to do is remove the screws for the steering column cover and remove it, then it's two screws and a harness to remove the stalk. If you swap out the stalk, ground the fog lamp switch so you they stay on with the brights.

My father has a 2007 FJ Cruiser 4x2, blue, with 34k miles. Fun car! What's the A-TRAC switch do? I think our FJ has it, but not sure since I almost never drive it. A little off-topic, but I hope you changed the rear diff fluid as some early models have had diff failures. I changed mine out recently and at 33k it looked absolutely horrible - I'm glad to have changed it out! I used Mobil 1 75W-90 which I got for about $30 for 4 quarts purchased online from Advanced Auto Parts with discount code. I didn't buy new washers for the fill/drain plugs, but there are no leaks so I'm fine. Washer part # is 12157-10010, torque spec is 36 ft/lbs for both plugs.

Edited by Towncivilian

wow! that is a lot of info there... aaah great another website to troll... sounds like you've done most of things I'm trying to do so note to self to check your posts.

Are you talking diff fluid on the FJs? Mine is an 08 so I hope that is late enough in the model run, although I'll have to check out the forums for more info. A-TRAC is a sort of traction control that brakes individual wheels to keep traction going in deep slop. I don't have any offroad experience with this so I can't tell you much more than what I've read. I believe it is only on 4wd models but not positive.

PS thanks on all accounts for info

Edited by xplitive

Yeah, I'm talking about the FJ rear differential fluid. My father's FJ also has only seen pavement, so if it has the A-TRAC thing it'll probably never be needed, ha! You know the LSD in the FJ is electrical, not mechanical, right? It's controlled by the ABS. I'd suggest registering here if you haven't yet, there's a lot of good info and people there. Read my maintenance questions thread there if you want. We're kinda going off-topic though, PM me if you have other questions or want to chat about the FJs some more.

Edited by Towncivilian