1990 trans and amp lights

alawat

The amp light and the Trans light have been coming on every now and then. But when they come on its always together and they nether stay on for long. Does anyone have any idea on why this is?

By amp light, you mean battery light? By trans light..what do you mean?

Ignoring what the lights actually mean, I might say your battery is going bad. If you have an automatic transmission (and I'm assuming you would if it has light), it needs power too. Automatic transmission consume power from what the alternator makes. If your alternator is bad, or not producing like it should, then the difference of what you use and what is made is sapped from the battery instead.

Maybe in the moments when the alternator is not performing properly, the transmission is not getting enough power. Causing the trans light and battery lights to come on?

Your alternator is weak. You need to replace it. I had the same prob till i changed it. mine would come on when i would draw more amps then the alt could produce. The trans temp sensor requires a minumim voltage to stay open and when that isn't received, it closes. Now could be a good time to upgrade.