Block Heater questions

Dieselboy

Starting to get cold here now up in Edmonton, heading for -35C again by mid winter no doubt!

So as I'm getting a diesel Terrano from Japan, I damn well want to make sure it starts on a cold winter day. Plug-in heaters are what's needed.

Anyone on the forum got any experience of installing these, ideally on a diesel TD27T engine, but on any Pathfinder would do.

What's better - a frost plug block heater or an in-line coolant circulating heater?

And then the next question, where does one install such a beast!? Especially the circulating heater?

Also, is it worth installing an oil pan heater in the transmission? Again, are there any suitable ports in which to install one?

The Phillips & Temro Zerostart line has probably got some suitable applications, but figuring out what will be the appropriate ones will be issue.

Cheers

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Id go with a Frost Plug block heater, While ive never had a diesel. ive always heard they help keep your glow plugs somewhat what during the colder days. Most of the Mine trucks run block heaters up here, i couldnt help yah as to where the frost plug would be though, sorry