idleing high, mechanic cleaned throttle body by mistake

Bassomatic

Hello,

I have a 2003 LE 4x4 with 204,000 miles. I just replaced the spark plugs with Denso Iridum plugs. The old plugs were not excessively gaped. I think I replaced them at 100K also. Anyway, had the plugs replaced, mechanic cleaned the throttle body as well.

Now the SES light is on and it will not idle at less than 1500 rpm when in park or N. When I stop, in drive, like at a light, I see the rpms drop then bounce to almost 2000 then down to 1000 then back to 1500.

We thought that the computer needed to relearn...no dice. He reflashed the idle in the ecu, I'm sure that I did not say that correctly, what he did was reflashed the "idle air learn"... is that right. Regardless he reflashed what could be reflashed on the computer to address the problem...no dice either. Still idles way too high.

I reset the ecu or ecm by pulleg the neg for 24hrs. SES went out for a bit, seemed to idle ok for a bit, then after a few miles, back to the high idle and ses. Now after doing that, the high idle code is gone (even though it is still idling high) only to be replaced with a lean bank 1 code.

UPDATE - spoke with mechanic, says that the reflash is now "taking" and the SES is off and idling low until you stop the truck, then when you restart it, it goes back to idling high and the SES comes back on.

found this- http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/394257-do-not-clean-02-03-thottle-body.html not good, mechanic agrees that he screwed up, honest mistake, just got to figure out how to get it fixed.

ARRH I'm going nuts with this truck!!! Any thoughts! Thanks for the help.

-Ty

Edited by Bassomatic

When he "cleaned the throttle body," did he also touch the MAF sensor? Those things are notoriously persnickety in these vehicles. Replacing it might help, and its malfunction can cause the symptoms you describe without throwing any codes. Happened to me, and fixed it by replacing the damn thing. Unfortunately, it's a guess as to whether that's the right fix. Also, if you do decide to replace it, get the Maxima one, not the Pathfinder one and it will save you lots of $$$. Search this forum for the thread on that.

Hello,

I have a 2003 LE 4x4 with 204,000 miles. I just replaced the spark plugs with Denso Iridum plugs. The old plugs were not excessively gaped. I think I replaced them at 100K also. Anyway, had the plugs replaced, mechanic cleaned the throttle body as well.

Now the SES light is on and it will not idle at less than 1500 rpm when in park or N. When I stop, in drive, like at a light, I see the rpms drop then bounce to almost 2000 then down to 1000 then back to 1500.

We thought that the computer needed to relearn...no dice. He reflashed the idle in the ecu, I'm sure that I did not say that correctly, what he did was reflashed the "idle air learn"... is that right. Regardless he reflashed what could be reflashed on the computer to address the problem...no dice either. Still idles way too high.

I reset the ecu or ecm by pulleg the neg for 24hrs. SES went out for a bit, seemed to idle ok for a bit, then after a few miles, back to the high idle and ses. Now after doing that, the high idle code is gone (even though it is still idling high) only to be replaced with a lean bank 1 code.

UPDATE - spoke with mechanic, says that the reflash is now "taking" and the SES is off and idling low until you stop the truck, then when you restart it, it goes back to idling high and the SES comes back on.

found this- http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generation-maxima-2000-2003/394257-do-not-clean-02-03-thottle-body.html not good, mechanic agrees that he screwed up, honest mistake, just got to figure out how to get it fixed.

ARRH I'm going nuts with this truck!!! Any thoughts! Thanks for the help.

-Ty

Did your mechanic clean the throttle body while it was plugged in? If so there is a good chance that it is damaged. I cleaned mine by mistake once too but I had removed the whole thing from the vehicle (mine is drive by wire). This also caused the high idle and SES like yours. My brother is a Nissan tech and reset it with the Consult II and it worked ever since.

Ok, as far as cleaning the throttle body, thats a bit misunderstood. First of all, never ever touch any of the screws for the throttle body, or on it. These screws have paint marks from being set up at the factory. Touching them will put the throttle body out of whack, and will damage it. You can clean the throttle plate with several different cleaners out there. Be sure you use something sensor save, and will not remove the coating on the throttle plate. Also, do not clean it with a wire brush! Use a clean rag and wipe the carbon off.

Now, you can perfom the idle relearn without the scan tool(consult). Follow these directions as they are copied directly from the factory manual....

Without CONSULT-II

NAEC1182S0302

NOTE:

I It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

I It is impossible to switch the diagnostic mode when an

accelerator pedal position sensor circuit has a malfunction.

NOTE:

Before perform Idle Air Volume Learning, make sure that Accelerator

Pedal Released Position Learning and Throttle Valve

Closed Position Learning are completed.

If not, perform Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning,

EC-81 and Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning, EC-81.

1. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

2. Check that all items listed under the topic PREPARATION

(previously mentioned) are in good order.

3. Turn ignition switch OFF and wait at least 10 seconds.

4. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition

switch ON and wait 3 seconds.

5. Repeat the following procedure quickly five times within 5 seconds.

1) Fully depress the accelerator pedal.

2) Fully release the accelerator pedal.

6. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep

it for approx. 20 seconds until the MIL stops blinking and turns

ON.

7. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the

MIL turned ON.

8. Start engine and let it idle.

9. Wait 20 seconds.

10. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure that idle

speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

ITEM SPECIFICATION

Idle speed

MT: 750±50 rpm

AT: 750±50 rpm (in P or N position)

Ignition timing

MT: 15±5° BTDC

AT: 15±5° BTDC (in P or N position)

11. If idle speed and ignition timing are not within the specification,

Idle Air Volume Learning will not be carried out successfully.

In this case, find the cause of the incident by referring to the

Diagnostic Procedure below

Now, you are going to need to reset the acclerator pedal also. Do this by turning your ignition on for 10 seconds(do not start), then off for ten seconds. Do this 20 times. 1 time is considered off-on. Keep your foot off of all the pedals during this. I usally do this before and after I reset the idle speed, mostly due to force-of-habit. Give it a try and see how it comes out. I would assume you took it to a Nissan tech? When he did the idle relearn, did it actually complete? Did he give you a printout?

Oh yeah, what code is the ECU throwing to turn the SES light on?

Edited by 5523Pathfinder