Need some help

PlatinumR50

So I was just pulling out of my drive way the other day and my pathfinder just shut down on me. No weird noises, maybe a little vibration but it just turned off. I cranked it once and it didn't turn on, let it sit for a little bit and it turned on after a second time. Does anyone know what might cause this? My check engine light is on but I already know its an o2 sensor.

Well, your explination is pretty general. You may want to check for codes again, as another may have set besides your O2 having issues. Next time it doesnt start, check your basics, fuel-spark-air. Have you done any recent maintenence? How many miles are on it? Look for anything else that may give a clue(ie:dash lights, noise, ect).

No recent maintenance other than taking it to Nissan and them doing the diagnostic for my check engine light. But my car turning off on me happened after that. I just don't want to to happen while I am on the highway. Suppose to be taking it to a goodyear mechanic next week.

Alright so I am pretty aggravated now. This is the 3rd time my car has just shut down on me while reversing out of my driveway. This time it started shaking and I couldnt get it to turn on until a 3rd try. Once I got it on it was still shaking pretty bad. While it was shaking I put it back in my driveway and then I put it in PARK. Once it was in park, my RPM odometer would gradually begin rising although I wasnt even pressing on the gas. Its in PARK!!!! I really hope I didnt buy a crap vehicle. Any suggestions?

Examine your fuel lines, change your fuel filter (NAPA Gold 3023 is $14 and made by Wix, or Nissan OEM should be around $14 too) to begin with. Perhaps try cleaning your MAF sensor with some MAFS cleaner (will likely require a tamper-resistant T20 Torx bit).

Ok so it happened for a 5th time while I was at the gate of an air force base....I talked to 4 mechanics locally and they say it might be idle issues and to take it to nissan. Called my nissan dealership and its $150 for the test. When the results come back, the $150 will go towards my repairs if I choose to do them. Should I do this? Its basically the last thing I can do before I go crazy and sell it....

Yes.

Check engine light is on, and you know the issue but you don't troubleshoot/replace the part?? Do you expect any other vehicle to do better than tell you what the problem is or not ever have any problems? Will it do better by being ignored?? Selling the vehicle is addressing the symptom, not the problem.

B

precise1, everyone i have talked to says my poor catalytic converters would not cause my vehicle to turn off so i am not sure what you mean by my vehicle telling me whats wrong because it hasn't told me anything.

precise1, everyone i have talked to says my poor catalytic converters would not cause my vehicle to turn off so i am not sure what you mean by my vehicle telling me whats wrong because it hasn't told me anything.

You said your code was a bad o2 sensor, not a cat... The most basic operation of an o2 sensor is to control the fuel/air mixture, and if you have that wrong, it can cause problems, or make other problems worse...

You said your code was a bad o2 sensor, not a cat... The most basic operation of an o2 sensor is to control the fuel/air mixture, and if you have that wrong, it can cause problems, or make other problems worse...

had it rechecked, its the 2 cats.

Cats have a federally mandated 8yr/80k mile warranty. Do you have more than 80k miles? If so, you're out of luck. If you have fewer than 80k, go to your Nissan dealer and show them the warranty booklet and ask for the cats to be replaced (you may need to pay for a diagnostic first however; don't know if that fee would be reimbursed if your cats end up getting replaced).