Slippery Shifter?

firemand

Hi everyone

I have a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder, standard. I just bought it yesterday. It's only had 1 previous owner, and as far as I can tell he took really good care of it. The transmission is completely noise free, shifts from gear to gear remarkably well, but every now and again it slips out of third into neutral.

When your accelerating and decelerating you can see the shifter move back and forth just slightly, and every now and again it just moves that little bit extra and slips out of gear.

I'm REALLY hoping this is an easy tightening type fix, or something relatively simple and not an indication of a failed transmission, but I'm sure with the amount of expertise in here someone will have seen this before and can tell me whats up.

Thank you all in advance :)

- Darryl

Did you see the Service Bulletin on the manual tranny?

Have you checked your motor mounts and tranny mount?

No I haven't checked any of the mounts, but I'll look at those. Where do I look up the service bulletin?

I have that exact problem with mine. I haven't had the time to check it yet but I'm pretty sure it's either the motor or trans mount. It doesn't pop out much just driving around but when I pulled a trailer it popped out alot. It feels like something is pushing it out and not the trans disengaging its self. and it only does it if I let off the throttle for a turn and then start accelerating again. If I just put it in third, accelerate and shift to 4th it won't pop out. I am planning to get some mounts from rugged rock for the motor, and just a stock trans mount.

James

I have that exact problem with mine. I haven't had the time to check it yet but I'm pretty sure it's either the motor or trans mount. It doesn't pop out much just driving around but when I pulled a trailer it popped out alot. It feels like something is pushing it out and not the trans disengaging its self. and it only does it if I let off the throttle for a turn and then start accelerating again. If I just put it in third, accelerate and shift to 4th it won't pop out. I am planning to get some mounts from rugged rock for the motor, and just a stock trans mount.

James

Yes exactly. I wasn't pulling anything, but it happens just like you said, accerating and going from 3rd to 4th is fine

Mine pops out of 4th. For me, I believe it is an internal problem with the dog gear, because it pops out even when there is basically no bump or turn, or anything happening where a mount would matter. If yours only pops out when there is a certain engine or transmission motion then it could be a mount, which should be much easier to fix. Mine only pops out when I'm off the throttle, but I figure the load on the gear is enough to keep it engaged...

As for the TSB, there is a problem with the transmissions where they fill hole is too low, so the standard procedure results in insufficient lubrication. You need to "overfill" the transmission. Usually people don't complain about popping out of gear as a result though, they complain about noise in 3rd (as far as I know).

Mine pops out of 4th. For me, I believe it is an internal problem with the dog gear, because it pops out even when there is basically no bump or turn, or anything happening where a mount would matter. If yours only pops out when there is a certain engine or transmission motion then it could be a mount, which should be much easier to fix. Mine only pops out when I'm off the throttle, but I figure the load on the gear is enough to keep it engaged...

As for the TSB, there is a problem with the transmissions where they fill hole is too low, so the standard procedure results in insufficient lubrication. You need to "overfill" the transmission. Usually people don't complain about popping out of gear as a result though, they complain about noise in 3rd (as far as I know).

yes, the insufficient lubrication heats up the 5th gear bearing and syncros. In mine the 5th bearing was shot and fragments from the syncros migrated into 3rd and 1st gear creating noise and eventually taking out 3rd gear. It made it 180k without the TSB and the new one another 40k before I learned about the TSB.