Odd AT Issues

So, I've been driving a 5 speed for the last 7 years and I just got my Pathfinder this Jan with an AT. I've been a little out of the loop on what is normal for a AT, this weekend confirmed some suspicions though. I'd like to get the boards thoughts on the issues I've been having.

1) Jan-May AT slips between 1-2, 2-3, 3-4 when cold, ONCE. Once it has gone through the gears it doesn't slip again even if it hasn't warmed up. Now that it is June it doesn't do this any more.

2) I took my 3rd trip over the mountains this weekend. Each time was similar 2-3 guys and a 2,500lbs motorcycle trailer (GW) The pass is steep long. The first two times was in the winter and the latest last weekend. This time when I got to my destination my whole tail gate and trailer was covered in a fine mist of fluid. I checked oil and ATF. Oil was good (I had just changed it 1 week before) and ATF was HIGH, way high, hot or cold it reads high.

3) ATF was clearish, redish, brown, it didn't smelled burnt like oil can be.

4) In city driving it seems like the RPMs are always at 2,000, it doesn't ever stay below that when my foot is even ever so slightly pushing on the throttle. I'm used to lugging my Explorer with the manual. That thing spent most of its life at 1,100-1,500 RPM.

Long story short based on the color and level alone I am getting the tranny flushed tomorrow and refilled with a good synthetic fluid from a shop I trust. I hope it fixes the other issues too. What do you guys think?

Synthetic fluid should help lower temperatures and resist oxidation better, and help with your winter slippage when the fluid is cold. I don't know what the fine mist of fluid is - what did it smell like? If you tow frequently, an auxiliary transmission cooler and an in-line filter would be a good idea.

In the city, I can easily stay under 2000 rpms if I drive like a granny. But that don't matter, if I drive the Pathfinder like I stole it I still get roughly the same MPG.

The fluid didn't smell odd, but my allergies were so bad I couldn't smell much. I used to use ATF in the forks of my dirt bikes (manual actually specifies it!) and when it was time to change the ATF smelled like Bad Kitty Liter, this smelled nothing like that.

I don't tow often maybe 1 time a month if that. When I do It's my 3 rail trailer with a dirt bike or two. Does the R50 Have a trailer/towing package? I have a factory hitch, if that is an indicator of an OEM cooler.