1987 D21 Pickup

bmitchell

• 4 years later...

As a follow-up to this (I realize it's been years), got everything sorted out with the head and ended up with no compression on a couple cylinders, so either the valves were too far out of seal, head was warped more than it appeared, or I severely screwed up the gasket install. Ended up giving it to a friend, and now it is sitting in his driveway instead of mine.

Pathy is doing well despite having broken a timing belt, the transmission being on fire (hose came loose on the highway) and some other minor issues over the years.

Ben

Edited by bmitchell

for future reference use a wedge between the chain and the tensioner after bringing it up on tdc, then you can remove the cam gear

and just drop the chain down, after the heads off there is a bracket you can mount to the block and install the cam gear and chain so you can turn the engine over.

My first pathy was a z24 what a dog but it was cheap

I think there was a reason for not dropping the chain at first that completely escapes me now, which is why the block of wood was there. Maybe so I could be sure that I indexed the new one right? I think I thought I could get away with not replacing it, which looking back seems silly to me.

Since I gave it to my buddy the only work done on it is that he removed some of the tires and was going to replace them with some tires he found in the woods behind his house that are somehow better...

Ben

Edited by bmitchell

Wow, looking back I made a lot of mistakes on this top end.

Stripped one of the rocker bolts, accidentally dropped a q-tip into one of the coolant channels, neglected to replace a copper seal. Polished the valves but never got them airtight (they were definitely not when I started).

Kinda wish I hadn't lost interest/steam and pulled the head again.

Ben