Washington Backcountry Discovery Trial

5523Pathfinder

OK, so I have been wanting to take a trip. My plan is to go to Long Beach for the day. I am going to cut through the mountians just to the west of me, almost liek a straight shot. It should be better than pounding pavement the whole way. Anyway, I was talking with my brother-in-law to see if he was interested. In our conversation, he brought up the Washington Backcountry Discovery Route. It runs north/south along the Cascades. It appears to have been covered more my motorcyles, but 4x4's should make it with little problem. If you have any knowledge or are intersted on making a trip, let me know!

http://www.wabdr.com/

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Being that its split into 5 different sections, I think I want to try and run each section seperately. IM thinking starting out at the south and working north. Looks like it should be a one day trip. Figured I would drive down to my brother-in-laws place in Vancouver one night, then wake up and go. I will keep everyone informed of when this might happen.

• 3 weeks later...

The WABDR was just proofed out and pre-run as a whole last Fall so it's a new route though obviously all the roads used are existing. I just read that there is still deep snow at some of the higher points and the whole route likely won't be passable by motorcycle until early July. Whether or not a 4x4 can do it before then will depend on snow conditions. Melting Spring snow in the Cascades is like greasy concrete so much care should be used in it. I'm thinking about running the route Northbound complete sometime toward the end of Summer if I have the new engine in the Pathy. 4wd should not even be required as it's mostly logging roads. It was pre-run last year in a stock FJ Cruiser in 2wd. When I do it I'll probably spend six or eight days, possibly with a day or two spent at Manastash... assuming it even re-opens this year after the recent massive storm damage to the area.