AC Compressor Clutch

Need some help/opinions here. My timing belt and compressor were replaced about 10,000 miles ago. Now my AC compressor clutch seems to be going. When the AC is turned off and the clutch is not engaged (I assume, I don't really know how they work), it clicks about 8 times a second, not too loud though. It gets louder the longer I drive/idle. When the AC is turned on, and the clutch starts spinning, it stops making noise, and runs normal. Just for the clutch, its $250. Is there an alternative? Are there just bearings that can be replaced? A friend mentioned spraying WD40 or a parts cleaner. I really don't wanna drop that much money on such a small part. Help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Rob

Need some help/opinions here. My timing belt and compressor were replaced about 10,000 miles ago. Now my AC compressor clutch seems to be going. When the AC is turned off and the clutch is not engaged (I assume, I don't really know how they work), it clicks about 8 times a second, not too loud though. It gets louder the longer I drive/idle. When the AC is turned on, and the clutch starts spinning, it stops making noise, and runs normal. Just for the clutch, its $250. Is there an alternative? Are there just bearings that can be replaced? A friend mentioned spraying WD40 or a parts cleaner. I really don't wanna drop that much money on such a small part. Help would be appreciated, thanks!

-Rob

I just never turn my A/C off! Can you see the front plate of the clutch vibrating while the engine is running and the compressor is off? There are some flat springs with rivets holding them together, they are probably getting loose. If the front plate is whats causing the problem find one in a junk yard, I don't think you can buy just the front plate new. They are easy to remove, one 12mm nut in the center and it should slide off. If not you can rent a small puller from a parts house. There are shims in there too to set the distance from the pulley, use a magnet to get those too for in case you need them on your truck.

James

If it breaks, I think you can just pull the AC belt off and run without it until you solve the problem. IIRC that belt dose not run anything else. Can anyone confirm? It's dark and I don't want to go outside and look right now. :ph33r:

Pretty sure the AC belt only runs the AC. If the belt isn't very new I would just cut it off since I think you have to remove another belt to get it off the normal way.

Yea, the AC comp is the only thing that belt turns, so it is not necessary for the vehicle to drive. And yes, there is another belt in front of it that needs to come off in order to remove the AC belt.

As far as drive-ability sure, but I thought even when the AC is off, every so often the compressor kicks on for a moment or two to keep things lubricated and prevent the compressor from seizing up. Yet another thing I hope someone can confirm because I don't know this for sure, or if a few weeks is enough to matter if it's true.

On the other hand, what about if the vehicle is left parked for a few weeks? That should not harm anything even though the AC is not kicking on.

Perhaps pull the fuse for the AC (I think there is one involved with the AC control wiring) so it can't try to come on with nothing turning it. But again, there is a chance all this is just a lucid acid trip of mine. :wacko:

Perhaps pull the fuse for the AC (I think there is one involved with the AC control wiring) so it can't try to come on with nothing turning it. But again, there is a chance all this is just a lucid acid trip of mine. :wacko:

Sounds like a good idea really. Think of it as acid insurance.

Yeah, I had a shop put in a new compressor right when I bought the truck when I knew little to nothing about cars. That was only a year and a half ago, so they definitely put in a cheap part! I'll probably be going with OEM

Alright, I just took the AC belt off. Just double checking again, it's definitely okay to drive without the belt? I might not get around to buying a new compressor until about a month or so.

Edited by exit34rocker1017

i dont see an issue running without one, but what if you have to use your defroster? i thought that the air compressor always turns on when the defroster is on...someone correct me if i am wrong...

Rear defroster is completely independent of A/C. I think the A/C is used with the front defrost setting for dehumidifying the incoming air, though. With manual A/C controls you can just turn the compressor off and have it recirculate air, the blower motor will still work fine.