Thermo-Tec Clamp-On Heat Shield

Just installed this on my the crossover tube that came with my pacesetter headers. The install is as easy as changing a radiator hose. I bought the 6" x 2' foot long one and cut it to fit length wise (about a foot). Then I used the extra piece on the passenger side collector just because it's really damn close to the trans. The one in the pic below only has 3 clamps. The two foot one has 5 clamps. The piece I cut for the crossover tube only uses 3 of the 5 clamps. The piece I used on the collector only had the two remaining clamps but I needed to cut all the extra off so it didn't just flap around under the truck. That and you don't want to let this stuff sit directly on the pipe. It will start smoking something terrible and smell like hell. I know this because I took the extra 4 inches of material that I cut off and put it on the stove burner. It didn't catch fire but it did turn black and smoke allot. It also started melting the metallic side that I assume is some sort of aluminum. I did this because I wanted to know what to expect if the edge of this should touch the pipe.

0_11600_300_tn.jpg

I'll post more pics tomorrow showing everyone how it looks installed. It's to dark right now.

I also installed some Thermo-Tec Adhesive Backed Heat Barrier on the trans pan.

0_13500_300_tn.jpg

I did this the other day and I noticed when I went to install the heat shield that it was peeling off. I'm more than likely going to take it off. I have a feeling it's not only reflecting heat but also holding the heat that the trans it's self creates in the pan rather than letting it cool off. That and the heat shield is doing a great job on it's own. After driving for about 30 min I climbed under the truck with the engine still running and put my hand above the heat shield and it was a night and day difference from when I put my hand above the bare exhaust pipe.

Here's the link to Thermo-Tec if you guys want to read more about these products. These are the only two products in the line I have experience with. We'll see how long it will last :shrug:

http://www.thermotec.com

I went and pulled my heat shields off of the piping under my R50 because of the terrible rattle that was going on down there. Under the hood I'm fine but, should I worry about the undercarraige?

I don't know anything about the R50 but if the crossover pipe runs under the trans or even the bell housing it wouldn't hurt to put one of these on the pipe. Better safe than sorry. It doesn't cost that much and if nothing more it will help to keep your floor boards cool. I live in Arizona so heat is a major factor for us out here. Even well taken care of cars can over heat quickly in stop and go traffic during the summer. So I'm trying to do whatever it takes to keep that trans cool.