TRANS COOLER LINES MYSTERY REVEALED!

So I've searched high and low to try and find out which transmission line is the return line (for when installing an auxillary trans cooler). I know you can do the "start the truck test to see which hose squirts out fluid" but why not just KNOW in the first place?!

So, on my 2001 3.5l auto Pathfinder, the RETURN LINE HOSE IS ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE AND GOES TO THE DRIVER'S SIDE OF THE BOTTOM OF THE RADIATOR (which is actually a factory oil cooler).

I hope this helps and saves ya'll some time!

Ps. I installed a B&M (16000lbs) trans cooler mounted infront of the air conditioning condensor = the optimum place to put it. I highly recommend purchasing a B&M kit as it comes with hose, clamps, etc...everything you need for install.

Cheers

Okay, so here are some pics...they are not the best as they are post install, but hopefully they are at least a little bit useful.

This picture shows the two lines coming from the trans splitting off to either side of the bottom of the radiator (factory trans oil cooler). I have labeled the direction of flow for these lines. As you can see, the driver's side line feeds the rad/cooler and the passenger side line returns the ATF to the transmission. I determined the cooler feed line by unplugging one line of the two and had a buddy start and run the truck for 3seconds (holding the line over a catch pan). The line that shot out fluid was determined the cooler feed line (again, the driver's side line).

100_2240.jpg

The is a picture of the B&M cooler mounted to my air conditioning condensor

100_2241.jpg

This picture shows the cooler and where I routed the lines back to the undercarriage. There was just enough room to fit the two lines beside the driver's side of the rad. Be sure to run your lines behind the horizontal frame cross member or you will not be able to put your splash guard/shroud back on properly.

100_2242.jpg

This picture shows the lines coming back from the cooler to the undercarriage. One line goes to the transmission nozzle that feeds the cooler, and the other line goes directly onto the feed nozzle of the cooler.

100_2246.jpg

Voila!

Note: When I did this instal I also replaced my ATF. Wether you do a fluid change or not, make sure you check your trans fluid level when you are done. You will most likely have to top it of as you`ll lose some fluid when you disconnect the trans lines.

I hope this helps?! Oh, and I highly recommend B&M coolers as they come with everything you need for the install on multiple applications.

Thanks for the information and pictures. I will be installing a Magnefine in-line transmission filter in around 450 miles so this information saved me some time.

Is that a Fram oil filter I see? :headwall:

thanks for the pictures!!

I didn't realise you can attach the cooler to the condenser.

Also, mine already seems to have a stock factory cooler, so I think I'll leave it there and add another one in series.

Do you just add more transmission fluid to system, or do you have to flush the whole thing?

Edited by Westy

... Wether you do a fluid change or not, make sure you check your trans fluid level when you are done. You will most likely have to top it of as you`ll lose some fluid when you disconnect the trans lines.

You should have to add fluid regardless if you lose fluid during the install, since the aftermarket cooler should take up some fluid as well, right?

So, on my 2001 3.5l auto Pathfinder, the RETURN LINE HOSE IS ON THE DRIVER'S SIDE AND GOES TO THE DRIVER'S SIDE OF THE BOTTOM OF THE RADIATOR (which is actually a factory oil cooler).

Found a TSB that has transmission cooler line descriptions:

transcoolerchart.png

so... this contradicts what winniepegjohnston found?

when I read "Return Hose" and "Cooler outlet", I interpret that as the "return hose to the transmission"

Edited by Qx4donald

• 3 months later...

I'm having trouble routing my hoses in a way that I can put the stock undercover back on. I don't have any pictures of my current setup but I moved the in-line trans filter into the front bumper cover so it's out of the way of everything and now just have hoses to deal with. I installed the cooler on the passenger side in front of the radiator and ran them under the washer fluid reservoir and can't seem to get the hoses to not be in the way of the "mountain" part on the side of the undercover. Any hints?

Edited by Towncivilian

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for those pictures, I routed them next to the battery and the undercover now fits perfectly, but I'll wait a few days before putting it back up to ensure there are no leaks. I used plenty of zipties to ensure that the hoses don't make contact with the radiator fan or pulleys.

• 4 months later...

Here are some awful pictures of how I routed my hoses, if anyone wants them for reference:

th_IMG_20120102_171822.jpg

th_IMG_20120102_171827.jpg

th_IMG_20120102_171835.jpg

In the first picture, the hose on the right has the original short hose (from below the vehicle) leading to one end of the Magnefine which is tucked behind the bumper, then has a 4 foot hose leading to the return fitting below the vehicle. The hose on the left is from the stock cooler outlet to the auxiliary cooler. The other two pictures should hopefully make enough sense of how I routed the hoses otherwise.