swapping fan?

Who has eliminated the factory fan and shroud and put an aftermarket cooling fan on R50 ? I broke my fan shroud and don't want to fix but eliminate it to put an electric fan on so I could shut it down during water crossings and mud holes.

I know it's been done time and time over on wd21s (Flex-a-lite makes one I belive, a fan from a 3.8 Taurus is common, I belive 1 or 2 people used em from Quest/Villager vans), I don't see what would make a r50 any different. And I've driven around shroudless for a good while (proably a year, if not longer) with no ill affects before swapping over to an electric fan.

yeah the electric fan from the quest works.

i havent had a shroud in well over a year on my r50. the clips holding the bttom half broke off, so i just took the whole thing off and called it good. no problems have arised from it, though i did accidentally drop a tool down into the fan last summer and sent it flying through my radiator, but that was pure stupidity.

... no problems have arised from it, though i did accidentally drop a tool down into the fan last summer and sent it flying through my radiator, but that was pure stupidity.

Meh' .. that was just bad luck. Do it again and that would be pure stupidity.