UCA Bolts....

silver97ex

Hey guys/girls, I ran into a slight issue today. So my UCA bushings were shot (Calmini 3" lift). I got replacement bushings and sleeves from Steve at Rugged Rocks (great guy and very helpful). I went into my work today to replace them, so I could have a lift, air tools, and an alignment rack ;) Bushings went in no problem but when I was doing the alignment I ran into a problem. I put the proper shims in and was tightening the bolts that hold the upper control arm...arm? to the frame. Maybe its called an upper spindle arm? I'm not sure, it is what the control arm mounts to and this bar mounts to the frame. Either way, the front bolt on the right side pulled the threads out of the frame. I got a bolt to kinda tighten so I was able to get it home, where it will sit for a while, I will drive my other car. I keep telling myself its a perfect time for a SAS but I still don't have the funds for that. I can't really think of any other option though, helicoil? Drill and tap it for a larger bolt? Any ideas? Thanks.

I had the same problem. Timeserts are your friend. http://www.timesert.com/

since the hole has no bottom a helicoil could work its way out with repeated use of the bolt.

The timesert has a flare that seats into countersink arround the hole and if thats not enough the installtion tool expands them and cold works them into the repair hole.

Helicoils must be installed and kept 'dry' as grease may make them slip and locktite may make them come out with the bolt....

I still have my timesert kit with 3 inserts left...