Small Update on my Links

fleurys

Looks like some really beefy links! You'll never bend a set of those with the size of solid aluminum you are using.

I would expect to "feel" more of the road since you have eliminated the rubber cushions, but for most offroaders this probably wouldn't be a huge deal. A good option would be to swap out the body side heim for a poly bushing.

Nice work :aok:

Looks like some really beefy links! You'll never bend a set of those with the size of solid aluminum you are using.

I would expect to "feel" more of the road since you have eliminated the rubber cushions, but for most offroaders this probably wouldn't be a huge deal. A good option would be to swap out the body side heim for a poly bushing.

Nice work :aok:

Yes, that's exactly my goal... just need time...again ...

• 1 month later...

I'm ready for mine when can I order them ???

yep..me too I'm ready for mine hahaha.... Here are the issues that I am working on...

1) the upper links are too fat... the 2 inch core of the aluminum bar comes in contact with the fuel tank... Also, they are too long... so right now I have my old links back on the truck until this is fixed (shim the body of the bar and re-cut and re-thread hole)

2) The design of 2 heim joint causes sometime the joint to stay flexed and it is the nut that slacks and the joint does not come back to center. Therefore each subsequent flex cause a noise (or a bang) because the joint hits the mount. I have finally ordered some new poly bushings and threaded 3/4-16 threaded rod in order to replace 1 end of the links with a bushing.

The setup will still be fully adjustable but the bushing will force the heim joint back in place after a flexed and all the noise should go away.

I know it;s long and even me I feel it should be faster. It would be alot better if I could invest more time in this side business and I feel I will soon be able to as I have stepped down on some of my responsibilities at my job...

At least when it's done, you know the bugs will have been eliminated... I don;t expect any of them to be availaible before next season (april-may 2012) as I will not be able to wheel du to winter time here.

S.

• 1 month later...

update... The lower links are on the truck now with the bushing at one end and the heim joint at the other...

photo2.jpg

I learned a few things in the process.... 3 of the 4 heim joints were seized solid.... and they don't even have 1 year... There was no rust or anything, but it seems the steel ball may have swollen or god knows what... Anyway, I ended up fixing one seized joint and re-install it with the poly bushings... No more bang and everything fits snuggly... I love it... I will probably do not touch the upper until next spring.

For the selling, I will redo my calculation and will offer them with only poly bushings at both ends... but they will stil be fully adjustable...

S.

yep...exactly...

one more update.... I have been debating (with myself :scratchhead: ), about the necessity of the links being adjustable ON THE TRUCK... This small difference makes the part a bit more costly simply because of having to buy left hand theaded bar... Not having anything local to me, it does impact..

Now with the fact that I will be using bushings and threaded rod, I can control the lenght of the adjustability and have decided to add more than the 1" total limit I had before.... So my question to you :

1) Is it a big deal if the links are still adjustable but just not on the truck, if this is to bring the cost down?

Let me know what you think.

• 1 month later...

Little update on them.

The final decisions have been made on these and this is the specs they will have :

for the lower links

1) core is still a 2" square bar of T6061-T6 Aluminum

2) Fully adjustable from 1/16th" up to a safe 2" of extra lenght. (1" per side of link)

3) not adjustable on truck. The link needs to be detached from the mount in order to modify the lenght

4) Link ends are made of split poly bushings.Inner sleeve is zinc plated for corrosion. External sleeve (outer), is bare steel and not treated.

5) Poly bushings are greasable and easily rebuildable.

6) There will be an aluminum flat bar welded to the top of them so the client can attach the hand break cable to it. Client will have to drill the holes in the flat bar to the right spot for him.

7) The uhmw skid under remains and so are the stainless steel bolts.

8) No price yet as I'm waiting for the first set to be finished.

for the upper links

1) core will be a 1.5" square bar of T6061-t6 Aluminum

2) Fully adjustable from 1/16th" up to a safe 2" of extra lenght. (1" per side of link)

3) not adjustable on truck. The link needs to be detached from the mount in order to modify the lenght

4) Link ends are made of split poly bushings.Inner sleeve is zinc plated for corrosion. External sleeve (outer), is bare steel and not treated.

5) Poly bushings are greasable and easily rebuildable.

I should be able to test the new setup in the coming weeks and then start the sale of these new links. In the mean time , here's the latest drawings updated with the bushings and the flat bar...

If you have any questions, just ask..

S.

final-lower-link-assembly1.jpg

final-lower-link-assembly2.jpg

final-lower-link-assembly3.jpg

final-lower-link-assembly4.jpg

They look good with the new addition for the brake lines.Did you get rid of the reverse threads on one side ? is that why you must remove to adjust for length ? Let us know how they work..... I'm still very interested .I want to move rear axle back for larger tires any ideas on the track bar ?? Kind of an offset bracket ???

Edited by PaMountianbiker

Yes i did get rid of the reverse thread.. they introduce more cost and the adjustability on the truck was more or less difficult because of the limited space to reach the nut.

If with the track bar you mean panhard bar, yes I'm planning on an adjustable one. The part will be able to follow your suspension adjustments as you modify it.

S.

• 1 month later...

ok.. New update.

The links are alive !

Also, while having the beta version on my truck, a real problem showed up... the fact that the jam nut slowly unscrews with vibration was giving me a headache ! Offroad solution has found a way that is patent pending, but at 30$ a jam nut, it was out of the question. see here for the product http://www.offroadevolution.com/store/proddetail.php?prod=EVO-LINXLOK-EA .

I decided that re-tightening every week or so was not something I was willing to live with. I found something that looks very promising and does not cost 30$ (it`s still 30$, but for 10 pairs...) The preliminary tests we have made manually shows that with over 250 ft/lbs, we could turn the bushing itself but the jam nut does not move. This means it will not unscrew and should stay put even with vibration. it`s called the Nord-lock lock washer. Have a look here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgwmuZuJ02I . This is exactly why I take my time to bring another product on the market.

They will go on the truck in the coming weeks and will be able to testify of the new setup. The price is still not final, but I can already say le lower links will cost over 300 CAD.. With all my efforts to have a sub 300$, it`s just impossible because of all the workmanship involved in them. I am though thinking of making a better priced one that would have the lower link made of a 1.5 inch bar instead of a 2''. My first tests of impacts on the 2'' part shows that it can sustain a 30000 lbs (15 tons) hit in the middle and not break. So I know this is extreme and the tests with 1.5'' will tell me if it would be a good avenue. The latter would cost less in material and would not imply machining on the extremities ; only the threaded holes.. It`s something I will look at very seriously.

in the mean time here`s some more pictures:

IMG_0943.jpg

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0945.jpg

IMG_0946.jpg

IMG_0947.jpg

You know I'll get these......eventually. Also, those Nord Locks, would be great for installing a SFD Kit huh???

I know ;) and for the nord-lock, I think it would be great on any bolt that has to sustain vibration...this sh*t is amazing !

Well, I think I'm going to change (again) the design to smaller and lower cost ! After a couple of static load simulations, the 1.5 inch lower link is more than capable of getting the job done.. Here's 2 graphs of the total displacement on a 20,000lbs and 100,00lbs on the middle of the link...

1-5inch-6061aluminum-displacement-20000lbs.jpg

1-5inch-6061aluminum-displacement-100000lbs.jpg

Like you see, on the 20,000lbs , there is almost no displacement... considering the truck are 5000lbs and add the momentum of an impact (let's say 4x), the links are more than capable of supporting it. Looks like I'm gonna be the only one with a set of 2'' :)

So the lower link should look a bit like my upper but will still have the uhmw and welded tab for the brake lines... more to come soon (and PRICES ! )

S

• 4 months later...