Drive belt replacement on a 3.3L?

Pathy415

Hello, new to this forum and wanted to see if there's a How To for the drivebelts on a 3.3L R50. I used the search function in various forums but couldn't find a walkthrough.

I can remove the lower fan shroud to gain more access but it looks like the upper shroud comes off with the radiator. Also the fan itself is sorta in the way, am I supposed to pull the fan off or is it possible to loop the belts around it?

I only saw two bolts where I could loosen and remove the belt but what about the 3rd belt?

I'm basically doing a complete tune up and have done pretty much everything (diff fluid, tranny filter/fluid, pwr steering fluid, coolant,fuel filter, plugs, dist cap, rotor etc. etc.) except for the drive belts (timing belt was done by previous owner about 30K miles ago).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!!

Hello, new to this forum and wanted to see if there's a How To for the drivebelts on a 3.3L R50. I used the search function in various forums but couldn't find a walkthrough.

I can remove the lower fan shroud to gain more access but it looks like the upper shroud comes off with the radiator. Also the fan itself is sorta in the way, am I supposed to pull the fan off or is it possible to loop the belts around it?

I only saw two bolts where I could loosen and remove the belt but what about the 3rd belt?

I'm basically doing a complete tune up and have done pretty much everything (diff fluid, tranny filter/fluid, pwr steering fluid, coolant,fuel filter, plugs, dist cap, rotor etc. etc.) except for the drive belts (timing belt was done by previous owner about 30K miles ago).

Any help is appreciated! Thanks!!!

Hello and welcome! I'm sort of new to the forum myself, but I have had these belts off a few times.

Just to be sure, this is for a 3.3L VG33? Your thing says you have a 99 or something. Different vehicle?

Anyway, you should not have to remove the rad shroud or fan, you can if you want to though as it would make things easier by just a tad. The only belt that needs to be looped around the fan is the belt that turns the fan/water pump and alty IIRC. It's plenty long enough to get over the fan.

The third belt you speak of I presume is the power steering belt, it's a "V" belt and the way it is tensioned is different than the other two. The whole p/s pump can be adjusted back and forth to tension or loosen the belt. It functions in a similar way as the tension pulleys for the other two belts, but it's the p/s pump that moves, not an idler pulley. The p/s pump adjustment has to be accessed from underneath.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions just post em' up.

Oh wait, the MY 99's have the VG33 right? After that went the VQ35?

Edited by clkindred

Hello and welcome! I'm sort of new to the forum myself, but I have had these belts off a few times.

Just to be sure, this is for a 3.3L VG33? Your thing says you have a 99 or something. Different vehicle?

Anyway, you should not have to remove the rad shroud or fan, you can if you want to though as it would make things easier by just a tad. The only belt that needs to be looped around the fan is the belt that turns the fan/water pump and alty IIRC. It's plenty long enough to get over the fan.

The third belt you speak of I presume is the power steering belt, it's a "V" belt and the way it is tensioned is different than the other two. The whole p/s pump can be adjusted back and forth to tension or loosen the belt. It functions in a similar way as the tension pulleys for the other two belts, but it's the p/s pump that moves, not an idler pulley. The p/s pump adjustment has to be accessed from underneath.

I hope this helps, and if you have any more questions just post em' up.

Oh wait, the MY 99's have the VG33 right? After that went the VQ35?

I'll try and tackle it when I get some time. Thanks for the advice!!!

Ah, well I just took a look under my hood and now I think removing the rad and shroud will make it a lot easier. I still think it can be done without doing so, but the times I have done it the rad was out. If you have never taken the rad out, just know the upper shroud (which is the majority of the shroud anyway) comes out attached to the rad. I have tried getting the rad in and then the shroud after. I fought it for a good 30 minutes until I tried with the rad and shroud together and it dropped right in.

Have fun!

Just search a liitle bit because I have to do it too and

found quite easily this

How To- Change Drive Belts On A Vg33 Alternator, A/C, Power Steering

A lot of things have been discussed here over the years, and there is a very good way

to find what you are looking for :search:

Perhaps it is somethings that may be useful to sticky.