Drilled hole on clutch plate, need rubber?

I drilled a 5/16" hole in the firewall clutch plate then painted it to prevent rust. Do I need to use some sort of rubber grommet, or can I just leave the hole bare? I'll wrap the wires in electrical tape at the contact area for now.

i would suggest a rubber grommet. With all the vibrating that goes on, that sharp metal edge will cut through your electrical tape and wires. I actually have to drill a hole in my firewall soon to run for my CB radio. Where exactly is the clutch plate, i mean if i pull back the carpet, will i know when i see it?

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

You don't have to pull back any carpet. If you look to the right and underneath the brake master cylinder, it's an easily visible black plate. Remove the two 12mm nuts holding it on. Then look underneath the dashboard, you should see light poking through. You may need to unscrew the transmission control unit (two 12mm nuts and 1 12mm bolt) to get easier access to it.

If you want pictures, I can provide some.

I'll get a rubber grommet tomorrow, then run the wires through.

Edited by Towncivilian

Here are some pics, with the plate removed:

DSC09191.jpg

DSC09190.jpg

Inside:

DSC09192.jpg

(this has the transmission computer installed, but not secured)

DSC09193.jpg

DSC09194.jpg

Hope that helps. I'm having a hell of a time trying to find a 5/16" rubber grommet. Harbor Freight has a set, but they're sold out, and both Lowes and Walmart don't have any. Will have to check at Home Depot or wait for HF to get stock of it, or just drill a larger hole; I saw a 3/4" neoprene grommet on the Home Depot site. Unfortunately the only metal drill bit I have is 5/16".

What a coincidence... I'm installing a trailer brake control this very weekend, and took a few pic's of how I modified that bracket to accomodate a rubber grommet...

020.jpg

Above is a side view...

021.jpg

Here, you can see that I drilled the 1/2" off-center, so as not to break the spot-weld...

024.jpg

Finally, you can see that i drilled my 1/2" hole in the outer plate, so that it pretty much lined up with the hole I drilled in the bracket...

sjm