Help with oil supply and return for my turbo install

2milehi

This seems to be a pretty strong technical area. So I am adding a turbo to my '95 Pathfinder. For the oil supply I was going to tee into the oil pressure sensor on the passenger side and run the supply to the driver's side. Looking around I found a oil plug bolt on the block underneath the alternator (driver's side). I can make a banjo bolt work and get oil supply from there.

Any suggestions for the return. I don't see any plates to add a nipple to. I don't want to remove the oil pan - that looks like a pain the butt. I have researched on the 'net and have found that a few people have punched a hole in the pan and added a fitting.

IMGP2378.jpg

could you just reurn it thru the valve cover? Pulling a vlave cover to add a proper bung (even the driver side one) is still easier than pulling the oil pan and theres less chance of causing a leak.

Also, (maybe its the angle) but it looks like your turbo is gonna smack your brake cyl every time you rev the engine...

I would have to use a pump to return oil to the valve cover and I am trying to stay away from that. The turbo is tight but I believe there is room between itself and the master cylinder. I have to put a heat shield between the master cylinder and the turbo.

I would think if it had enought pressure to get to the tubo it would have engough pressure to come out where ever you put it. Otherwise I'd worry your turbo isn't getting enough oil.

Edited by MY1PATH

The turbo drain doesn't have any pressure behind it. It needs to flow out of the turbo by gravity with the least amount of restriction.

I'm guessing the oil pan is steel, in which case you don't be able to drill/tap a hole in it. You'll have to remove it and get a fitting welded to it. Since the turbo is so low, this is probably your only option. If it's aluminum, I can give you some direction on that.

Looks like a cool project :aok:

I'll post my results here in case someone searches for it. I wound up modding a banjo bolt to 3/16 brake line for the supply. I punched and tapped a hole for a 3/8" pipe thread.

IMGP2405.jpg

IMGP2409.jpg