SES light help

qx4girl

I have a 1997 QX4 with it's SES light on. I have found out I can't use the free universal OBDII scan tool at local auto parts stores.

I was wondering if anyone had an OBDI scan tool or the consult II that would be willing to check my light for me or know somewhere to get one cheap since I am on limited funds.

The dealer is asking $100 to check it.

Thanks for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a 1997 QX4 with it's SES light on. I have found out I can't use the free universal OBDII scan tool at local auto parts stores.

I was wondering if anyone had an OBDI scan tool or the consult II that would be willing to check my light for me or know somewhere to get one cheap since I am on limited funds.

The dealer is asking $100 to check it.

Thanks for any and all help, it's greatly appreciated!

Why can't you use the OBD2 tool? If your vehicle was sold in the US it had to be OBD2 compliant effective with 1996 model year.

For 100.00 you can buy your own scantool, that is insane. My only suggestion is to find a good local small mech shop who has a scanner, most of them should. They are usually pretty good as they want your business. By the way it is a worth while investment, I use mine on the Pathfinder, my wife's ford, a buddie's honda works for all of them. The connector on R50's is industry standard, it should be no problem to pull a code.

For 100.00 you can buy your own scantool, that is insane. My only suggestion is to find a good local small mech shop who has a scanner, most of them should. They are usually pretty good as they want your business. By the way it is a worth while investment, I use mine on the Pathfinder, my wife's ford, a buddie's honda works for all of them. The connector on R50's is industry standard, it should be no problem to pull a code.

Yeah...+1 for sure. I think everyone who has one or more vehicles should have a scanner. The interface is standard on every vehicle sold in the US since 1996. Actually...what SHOULD happen is noone should need a scanner. The biggest scam in the history of the auto industry is that they have this stupid light that comes on that gives you virtually no information whatsoever despite the fact that the precise code indicating the exact error condition is sitting there in the ECU. I think and hope that eventually that the moronic SES light will be replaced by a digital display showing the error code. Then again...they gotta dumb these things down to the lowest common denominator of ignorance. So how about keep the SES light for the driving monkeys...and add a digital display for those with IQ above 40? :itsallgood: