Newb help, long post :)

Guest noahrexion

Guest noahrexion

Hey all, i will introduce myself once I pick the truck up... I just want to make sure that I am getting the right one.

I am moving up to Norther Arizona and will be frequenting the moutains for snowboard trips and such. Path is it for me and I think I found a nice 94'; I just want a few opinions on it.

94' SE, 184k miles, auto, beige/tan ext., gray interior int., Body is a 8/10 and interior is a 10/10. LSD rear, roof rack, tow package, 4WD, power everything, adjustable shocks and tranny shift (comfort/power?), electric lift gate and probably some other stuff Im not mentioning. GC rear springs also :) THe car was maintained quite well, it drove pretty nicely (tobad these things have no balls though). THe timing belt was just replaced along with the water pump and valve job. The head studs were replaced (for exh. manifold) when it was out the car is in otherwise good shape and everything works. There is plenty of receipts for all the work to.

The asking price on it is $3800. I am wondering what you guys think as far as reliability goes with a motor/trans (auto to) with this many miles on it. I know its a good price, and its what Im looking for its just that its auto and has high miles... at the same time is a bit cheaper than anythign else.

My questions: Im going to be going back to school and working and hitting the mountains, I have a huge concern on reliability. Ive owned 2 Nissans prior and love them for there durability and such, but none with over 150k B) THink the truck will hold up? Tranny probs? Anyone have any specific things to look for in it? THe 4wd seems to work good and there is a TINY bit of surface rust on the frame and few bolts underneath but thats it... i can scrape and paint that (there is none on the actualy body).

Thanks all for any help, Im looking to get the truck within the next 2 days. Love to get some feedback, thanks

Austin

Hey Austin, and welcome. The tough part about what you ask (reliability/longevity) is it really depends on how it was driven and maintained. Sounds like the PO took good care of it, but how long did he have it ? Any records for tranny services, and does it have a seperate tranny cooler ? This is a known issue of them clogging and killing the tranny. If you buy it, install one. There are plenty of threads here about it. As for how long CAN it run, see 'milage poll' thread below in this section. I understand what you are concerned about (reliability); I had the same. But then you get what you pay for.

To give you a reference point, I bought a 95XE without most of the goodies you mentioned (but I didn't want them... just more to break in my book) with 108K (exhaust studs replaced, new water pump, timing belt, exhaust, front brakes, rear shocks, good 10.5x31" tires) for $5800 and put a clutch in it the first month. This is in the San Francisco area and I'd rate the vehicle a SOLID 9/10,9/10. I guess what I'm saying, is past a certain point (factoring in extras) you simply pay more for lower miles. Personally, I was following my 10 year/100K mile rule of thumb. Last word of advice is don't buy too fast, be patient. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Bernard

Guest soup_nazi

That sounds like a fair price, if the exterior is in that good of shape. I paid $6700 for my '95 XE, with 83k miles on her, and it's in immaculate shape (save for a slight engine problem.) One thing to look at, I think, is the tranny. I've heard that they can be a problem area. Mine hasn't given me any greif yet, but be wary.

Other than that, I think its a great vehicle and I do enjoy driving it. Very reliable.

Guest noahrexion

Thanks for the replies guys, I have been waiting for about 2 weeks now. I dont mind waiting a little longer its just tough.

I'll offer $3400 for the truck and see what they say. I think that being an auto with that many miles just makes me a little uneasy. There are no records at all, accept for one receipt for a tranny filter and like 4 quarts of fluid. However it has been maintained very nicely and its a wonderfully clean truck. If it were 5sp I would have bought it today without asking anything.

I wish I could take this interior out of it and put it in w/e I find :) I cant beleive how clean it is inside, really amazing that it was taken such good care of. It was an insurance company vehincle (used for road trips) until bougt by a guy in Oklahoma who moved out here to AZ and sold it to this couple. They have had it for 2 years and they guy has performed all the maintenance himself.

So, being a grad student myself, I understand the "unique financial needs" of a college student who seeks outdoor adventure, so I must ask this: how many years of school do you have left?

If you have more than 2 years remaining, you may want to look into a different vehicle.

I know that it is a pathy, and they do have long service lives, but at 185k miles, things start going wrong. An ideal pathy for a student is one with fewer miles and fewer bells and whistles (ie power windows, doors, etc) because all the extras do is cost more initially, and then break around 185k miles (or earlier). Then you are stuck spending a small fortune making it so that you can roll your drivers side window up when it snows. And that sucks when you are scraping for groceries and laundry quarters (and beer too, hehe).

Two mechanical thoughts:

One: My rig had the Nissan factory adjustable shocks, and they were beyond toast at 150,000 miles. If that is what is still in your prospective ride, talk them down another $200 for shock replacement. They are blown and you just don't know the difference.

Two: Careful with the tranny. Even if the PO was always a gentle driver (very rare, if it is even claimed) and took care of all the prescribed maintenence, after 185,000 miles the tranny may be still short for this earth. If the tranny dies soon after purchase, you have just about doubled the cost of your vehicle. Keep that in mind.

I'll be done with school, and out in N. AZ this winter, throwin' down some turns too... :aok: