Problem diagnosing- Help please!

Kieran

oh here is my problem. Im all out of ideas to what could cause it. I have a 1991 Terrano/Pathfinder V-30RM 3L V6 auto and the power fluctuates/drops out while cruising or acceletrating. It doesnt happen at any particular speed or rev count and doesnt matter if I have just started it or has been running for a while. I have cleaned injectors, changed fuel filter, and chcked the distributor and plugs. On previous advice removed MAF and problem still occured so probably not that. what else could it be?

Ok, first thing is check the ECU for stored fault codes, the write up is in the Garage/How To section.

Hopefully that turns something up. From there I would check various sensors (from coolant temp sensor to o2 sensor) for proper functioning and perhaps look for vacuum leaks also. How many miles on th truck, auto or manual tranny and can you explain the condition or define when any better?

B

Its an Auto, has done 180,000kms. has been serviced regularly and auto was rebuilt 15,000kms ago. I checked the fault codes and ran the diagnostics and all was fine except the throttle position sensor which was working but sometimes would lag when deprssing or releasing the accelerator pedal. Whould this cause it? talked to a mechanic who said it was possible but wouldnt know untill I replaced it with a new one, but he is unfamiliar with the engine so wasnt 100% on his advice. any other ideas? I checked the coolant and 02 sensor and all was fine there.

As for discribing the problem better: an example is driving at 50kms/hr it runs about 1800 revs. When it decides to have this problem the revs will drop to under 1000, then pick up to 2000, and do this untill i either stop and it stalls or I put my foot down and it comes right for a while. The same problem will happen when accelerating to overtake and happens at all speeds and cant pin it down to any particular time or situation. I have only had problems on the road and none off-road or at very low speeds ie below 30km/hr.

So, the ECU says that there was something wrong with the TSP, you say it was working sometimes and your problem is intermittent??

TPS1.jpg

TPS2.jpg

TPS3.jpg

From the 95 FSM which should be the same, 1994 (the earliest) to be found here...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=26616

B