Improve Fuel Economy?

edta1

Hello Everyone,

It is well known that SUVs have poor fuel economy. So what do you do about it? What can I do to improve the fuel economy? I live in Chicago, and I do a lot of city driving. With all the stop and go traffic here, it really downs the fuel. Yea I knew what I was getting into before I bought my Pathfinder. :o I bought the Tornado Fuel Saver 2 years ago. I'm not sure if my perception was affected by the placebo effect or not.

My dealer told me I should clean my fuel injection nozzles. Is the dealer full of it? Is there a way I can clean it myself?

What have you guys done/modded to improve fuel economy?

have a look under : http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=2838 for more fuel economy info

as for cleaning your fuel injectors - I have heard the same, that it will help - you can buy a bottle of fuel injector cleaner @ an auto supply place & add it to a full tank of gas... which reminds me...

I bought some a while ago - but never have it on hand when I fill up!

First of all, you'll want to remove that tornado. They are just snake oil. Apparently, an altima with it installed was dynoed and actually lost power. Anyways, another thing you could do would be to install some manual hubs. These will definitely increase MPG's, whether its the .5 increase some see or the 2 increase that others report. There are some other things, search around and you'll find what you're looking for B)

Huh, that's interesting...Thanks for the insight on the Tornado. Couple of things...

How does upgrading to a manual hub better my fuel econ? What kind of hub does a stock 01 Pathfinder have?

Also, what is your take on cleaning fuel injectors? My dealer says I need it as it gives better fuel econ and HP. Are they pulling my leg? Is it really needed?

Thanks for your advice. :cool2:

A stock '01 Pathy has drive flanges, not hubs. That means it's spinning the front diff, axles and driveshaft all the time while you're driving. If you get manual hubs and drive with them unlocked, the axles and associated drivetrain parts won't be spinning while in motion in 2WD, thereby saving you fuel by lessened drivetrain rotation and firctional loss. I wouldn't expect much, but any little bit helps.

Cleaning fuel injectors usually isn't a required procedure unless the engine runs rough or has injection problems. I'd say just go without it if you don't feel like dropping the dough on the service. If it really worked all that well, it's be common practice, not a "suggested service". They're basically selling you on the "better fuel economy and more HP", without any facts to back the claim up.

If you get a Performance Intake such as a KN Air Charger, Jim Wolf intake, etc, etc; it would increase your MPG by 1-3 miles per gallon. It will also give you a few horsepower extra. HOWEVER, watch that throttle. With the extra power, you'll prob notice yourself stomping that gas harder to play with the extra power. If you do that, it dumps in more fuel which will waste even more gas. So if you end up going with the Intake route; you'll have to be more aware of not having a lead foot.

Later, Joe