push bar mounting....HELP!

DSM_guy

ok, as you may can tell from my sig, i have a 91SE ok, here is my problem. i bought a push bar like "88" has. just the simple 2 upright and 2 tube design..no brush/headlight guard thingy. anywho, i go to put it on...and it dosent fit. i think i can see where the bottom of the bracket mounts to...but the upper brackets. i assume they go through the little slot in the OEM bumper correct? well, mine wont go in. the little "ears" on the mounting tab are about .5" too long. do i have to modify the bumper. if 88 or any of the rest of you have this bumper and have installed one please send pics of mounting locations or instructions or whatever.

here is the one i got

BBSpic.jpg

Mine is specifically for the 87-89 front bumper and bolts through the existing external bumper bolt holes. If the tabs on yours are too wide to fit thru the bumper slot properly, grind 'em down. 4" angle grinders are like $20 at Harbor Freight.

And cut off wheels and little grinding wheels for your drill are a couple bucks at the hardware store. That's what I used to cut through my Jeep springs, so it should be able to handle this project.

nope, problem not resolved. im gonna have to custom make some extension brackets. the lower upright mounts wont reach to the truck mounting points. hopefully dad got his acetaline refilled, otherwise im gonna have to pay someone else to fab up some.

88 if you wouldent mind, could you snap some pictures of your mounting points pls? thanks!

Guest 92path4fun

You dont have to cut anything! To mount it, you have to take the whole thing apart. Mount the sides first, and then put in the middle tubes. I hope that makes sense.

haha, if only what you said was possible. believe me, it came disassembled. and yes, with whatever bumper i had, i had to cut off the upper mounting tabs. where they were positioned (1) was about .5" too wide to fit inside the opening, and (2) even if i could get them inside the slots, there was no place to really get a solid mount. i honestly dont know that this bumper was for a pathy...considering all the crap i had to do to get it to fit....between having to add stuff and take stuff away...yeah, i doubt it was for the pathy..but it is now! :aok:

and belive me...if it were as simple as taking it apart and everything supposed to be fitting together..i would have had the thing on the same day i got it. take it from a guy who has installed nitrous, done exhaust work, wired in 2 car alarm systems with aftermarket keyless entry, and 3 head units...it wasnt quite as easy as it sounds. but thanks for the help..im sure the correct bumper would have go on exactly as you say.

p.s. if it was like 88's it would have worked. but if you notice how his upper mounting tabs are on the SIDES and face horizontal and use the bumper bolts..yeah..but mine dosent look like that. my upper tabs stuck IN towards the bumper. and no, they werent going in hahaa