Trouble starting and idling

muddfildvaynes

So I went on vacation to TX for a week and the pathy sat in my driveway and started up fine the battery wasn't dead or anything, the other day the windshield wiper motor on my daily went out so I decided to drive the pathy to work; it started up fine and drove the 15 miles to my work fine; so lunch hour came and I was going to a restraunt and it started up fine and on the way it just felt like it lost power and when I gave it gas the rpms went down and it rolled to a stop and died. I tried to start it about 5 minutes later and it started and idled very rough like when you take the vacuum line off the intake but when you gave it gas again it the rpms would go down until it stalled, if I let it idle it will run for about 45 seconds and die. I checked the computer and the only codes that came up were the codes that have always been there for my knock sensor and EVAP emissions. I am thinking the fuel pump or the filter? I am going to check the fuel pressure on the rail later tonight but am unsure what psi it should be.... I heard 32 psi from a buddy; does anyone have any other ideas? I was thinking about it the other night that maybe my fuel gauge was lying to me and I was out of gas so I put 2 gallons in it and it fired up but a few moment later the same thing happened and it bogged down and stalled so it wasn;t that. When I ran it last the exhaust stank, maybe the cat is clogged? but it felt like good back pressure. Any ideas would help.

• 2 weeks later...

That is exactley what happend to me last week. Had to have my car towed since it would not start. My repair guy had to replace the entire distributor. This all happened after I had the distributor cap, spark plugs and wires replaced that same day. Checked the back of the distributor and found a small burn mark and a hole. Apparently that will stop the car dead. Just glad it wasn't the ECU.

Maybe they have a activating go out now switch built into them and nissan is just now starting to throw the switch lol.... jk; anyways I think it probably had to do with all the mud I have put it through? My muddy engine now has a shiny new distributer and cap. I dont understand how it could just go out......

Too much electronics, my old Xterra did the same thing, Nissan guys could not figure it out for the the life of them. Basically they get to an age and just start to fail, there are a couple of causes, but yup we may see a bunch them go. Out of curiosity how much mileage on your Pathfinder ?