Will mods void my warranty?

Guest RWRP

Hi, I just bought a '96 Pathfinder LE in very good condition. I haven't had the balls to take it off road yet, but I will soon.

I want to add a high flow air intake and some other little mods, will those void my warranty? It's a GE four star.

If you add a suspension lift, it will void the suspension coverage, but not the entire warranty.

I am under the impression, that if you modify something, it will void that part of the warranty but nothing else. I.E. If you add a cone element intake, and your transmission or differential blows up (the cone filter, cannot possibly increase power enough that the transmission or differential will blow up solely due to that) they should still cover the stuff.

But to be sure, you should check with GE. :aok:

On a side note, I was actually looking to get one of those Gold Plan extended warranties, and I was talking with one of the people at great length, and I asked him, if my truck is modified (i.e. lifted, with exhaust, etc) will the warranty still apply. And he said it depends....so I didnt' get it.

Are the intake systems worth it? I'll have to go through my warranty coverage with a fine toothed comb and see what it says.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ericcarlson2

Working for an insurance company that backs the auto warranty industry, I would not suggest adding any modifications. Most warrantys specifically note that if the vehicle is modified it voids the warranty. this includes but is not limited to engine, suspension, trans, computer chips etc. We have one customer that specifically has the wording in their contact that voids the contract if the vehicle has been off road at all.

Take it for what it's worth. I'd hate to see you lose the 8 to 1200 you spent on the warranty.