Transmisson Noise

I have a freshly rebuilt auto transmisson (30,000mi) in my 95 pathy and for the past couple of months its been making a strange sound when slowing down and sitting still even in park. Sounds like the torque converter? :shrug: Also over the summer the truck devoloped a vacuum leak over the summer but i cant seem to find the leak... could this be affecting the transmisson?? I didnt see anything loose or off on the transmisson

Edited by TexasPthFnder95

What condition is the fluid in?? Do you have an external tranny cooler installed and is the stock radiator cooler bypassed. Why was the tranny rebuilt 30k miles ago? What kind of strange sound?? Does it sound like a hyena or like an egg being dropped?

B

What condition is the fluid in?? Do you have an external tranny cooler installed and is the stock radiator cooler bypassed. Why was the tranny rebuilt 30k miles ago? What kind of strange sound?? Does it sound like a hyena or like an egg being dropped?

B

Its like a humming and small griding sound when acclerating or slowing to a stop. And it has the stock tranny cooler and it was rebuilt due to reverse faliure at 196,000k but every filter line seal gear everything was replaced only the bell housing is stock. And the fluid is still red but im flushing the tranny and changing it soon...

i wonder if an auto has the same fill plug problem that makes the bearings on the input shaft and such go bad like my Manual??

just told they weren't so ignore that...

Edited by SexJelly

Ok, what I have heard is that when reverse fails, it is due to lack of fluid pressure since it requires the most. It is the classic failure mode for pathfinders and may be caused by the stock radiator cooler clogging and the tranny overheating/starving. If the radiator cooler is not (replaced or)* bypassed, it will happen again.

*cheaper to bypass

Moving on, did you mention any bearings being replaced? Are you certain it is coming from the tranny or could it be other drive train parts or rotational components?? I've been fooled by signs before...

B

Ok, what I have heard is that when reverse fails, it is due to lack of fluid pressure since it requires the most. It is the classic failure mode for pathfinders and may be caused by the stock radiator cooler clogging and the tranny overheating/starving. If the radiator cooler is not (replaced or)* bypassed, it will happen again.

*cheaper to bypass

Moving on, did you mention any bearings being replaced? Are you certain it is coming from the tranny or could it be other drive train parts or rotational components?? I've been fooled by signs before...

B

Well the problem is fixed the fuel pressure regulator was causing it i dont know how :scratchhead: but i fixed that and the transmisson is silent now but im still flushing the tranny and changing the fluid and i already changed the stock radiator and tranny cooler and lines :itsallgood: but i do have a heavy duty external cooler in my room ready to be installed easy to do? Best place to mount?

Edited by TexasPthFnder95

Cool, that was probably one of the cheapest (and strangest) tranny fixes I have heard of. :D

The best place for a tranny cooler is in front of the radiator and condensor.

B

I know B) My only guess was the truck was getting to much fuel or something and it was messing with the tranny. So the best place for the cooler is directly behind the grille? And is there any precautions i should take and is this a complicated project? Im really good at fixing repairing customizing and modifying cars but right now i cant have a project tthat lasts more than a weekend :/

i wonder if an auto has the same fill plug problem that makes the bearings on the input shaft and such go bad like my Manual??

just told they weren't so ignore that...

I fixed it. It was the fuel pressure regulator i have no idea why it affected the tranny but it did :shrug:

I know B) My only guess was the truck was getting to much fuel or something and it was messing with the tranny. So the best place for the cooler is directly behind the grille? And is there any precautions i should take and is this a complicated project? Im really good at fixing repairing customizing and modifying cars but right now i cant have a project tthat lasts more than a weekend :/

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23072&st=0&p=411924&hl=cooler&fromsearch=1entry411924

There is more info that you can dig up if you search but it is pretty straight forward...

B