Spark Plug Wire set

MJBBMANO

I changed my spark plugs today (NGK regular). I also replaced the wires with NGK wires. The ones I had were very cheap and broke when I was changing the spark plugs. I was looking at the wires and I feel that the mechanic who did the last tuneup put them out of order. Is there any diagram out there that would show me where each wire should go?

Does it run fine? If it runs smoothly they're not out of order.

It has a little knocking when I go in reverse slowly coming out of the garage and when I'm in drive and have the brake applied. Even more when the A/C is on and I'm at a stand still in drive. I thought it was the plugs so i changed them. I also notice the mechanic who did the tuneup last never gapped the plugs. I gapped the new ones I just put in.

It has a little knocking when I go in reverse slowly coming out of the garage and when I'm in drive and have the brake applied. Even more when the A/C is on and I'm at a stand still in drive.

Are you sure at low engine speeds, it isn't valvetrain noise? I've heard of some cars running ok with the sparkplugs miswired to where only 2 of 6 or 8 cylinders were firing at the wrong time. It ran fine at low and medium engine speeds, but caused a big reduction in power at high engine speeds. If you can still comfortably merge onto the highway, the sparkplugs are probably wired correctly.

I don't know how the valuetrain would sound or where it is. It only happens as mentioned before. I've had this problem for at least 2 years now. When I change the spark plugs it's a bit less. Any idea what it can be?

I don't know how the valuetrain would sound or where it is. When I change the spark plugs it's a bit less. Any idea what it can be?

I don't really know how to describe valvetrain noise if you haven't heard it and known what it is. It maybe (but probably not) could be poor engine oil pump output not supplying enough pressure to the hydraulic lifters at low engine speeds.

I'm pretty sure 1997 and 1999 used the same engine. Look down to solution 1 to verify your spark plugs are wired correctly. http://www.fixya.com/cars/t4523930-1999_nissan_pathfinder_3_3l_4wd_start

I'd call Courtesy Nissan Parts Desk and check the part number of NGK you should be using. If you are already at the recommended plug, you might ask them about going one step colder. If you are already one step hotter, go down to normal. To determine if yours is an early or late model 1997 to figure out the right plug, you may need your VIN available to give them. Don't trust parts stores to tell you the right plug when you have a split year car. Always go with the owner's manual or Nissan parts desk.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-r50-1996-2004/maintenance/ignition/-c-4700_7668_9113.html

It could also maybe be a little bit of roughness caused by an intake/vacuum hose leak, that shows up when you are at high engine vacuum. Look around in your engine compartment for a hose with a hole or not connected.

Edited by colinnwn

I don't really know how to describe valvetrain noise if you haven't heard it and known what it is. It maybe (but probably not) could be poor engine oil pump output not supplying enough pressure to the hydraulic lifters at low engine speeds.

I'm pretty sure 1997 and 1999 used the same engine. Look down to solution 1 to verify your spark plugs are wired correctly. http://www.fixya.com/cars/t4523930-1999_nissan_pathfinder_3_3l_4wd_start

I'd call Courtesy Nissan Parts Desk and check the part number of NGK you should be using. If you are already at the recommended plug, you might ask them about going one step colder. If you are already one step hotter, go down to normal. To determine if yours is an early or late model 1997 to figure out the right plug, you may need your VIN available to give them. Don't trust parts stores to tell you the right plug when you have a split year car. Always go with the owner's manual or Nissan parts desk.

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-r50-1996-2004/maintenance/ignition/-c-4700_7668_9113.html

It could also maybe be a little bit of roughness caused by an intake/vacuum hose leak, that shows up when you are at high engine vacuum. Look around in your engine compartment for a hose with a hole or not connected.

Thanks for the info. It looks like the wires are setup correctly. The plugs I put are NGK BKR5ES-11.