96 - 5 Speed

karmanpath

I have a 1995 Pathfinder with an automatic transmission. I live in Denver and love to do mountain trails and would love to replace my auto with a 1996 5 speed. I gave a quick look at a 96 5 speed and the outside measurements are the same. Does anyone know if this will work?

Because the speed sensor is located on the side of the transfer case, his '95 dash is electronic meaning the speed sensors are the same and will work with each other. Pre '94s require you to either somehow swap the old mechanical sensor in the new transfer case or re-use the original transfer case all together. Most people find the second option easier as the aluminum corrodes the sensor to the body of the case, which is what I found when installing a '98 transmission into an '88 with.

It's one thing a lot of people miss when swapping different year transmissions.

So any R50 5 speed will fit in a WD21 and from 96 on up the fill hole was in the correct location?

James

Yes. Automatics and manuals alike. You are correct, the problem with the fill hole was with the WD transmissions, but it's fixed by either relocating the fill hole or filling the transmission from the top, through the access panel where the center console is. :aok:

Karman, you may notice during your swap a sensor that's attached to the bell housing of the newer '96 transmission. Don't worry about it, WDs didn't use this sensor so feel free to cut the wiring off. You could remove it, but you'd be left with a hole to fill. Another thing you might come across is a steel block, bolted to a rubber insulator on the bottom side of the transfer case (assuming the transfer case is coming with it). That's a mount for a cross member on the R50s only, again you can feel free to remove it as it doesn't attach to anything on the WD.