Rear Axle seals and removal

frozenrotors

Has anyone out there had any experience replacing the rear axle seals on a 1989 pathy (SE ) with rear disk brakes. The mechanic that told me I have a leaky axle seal says the seal and the bearing assy. are pressed on, and require the entire axle to be removed. Is this a matter of removing the 4 bolts on the backing plate and sliding the axle out ? Or do you have to go in through the diff. Are they "locked" in place with any retaining clips that would require opening up the Diff ?. I am guessing the axle bearing assy is pressed on to the axle. Is this a correct guess ?!.

On a seperate note. I am also trying to locate a key less entry, key FOB for the same vehicle. I have read several posts indicating these are "programable" and do not have to be model year specific ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

krmiller70@hotmail.com

ok, there are 2 seals on each end; inner and outer.

the outer seal is just a grease seal so its ok if it won't hold oil because all it needs to do is hold grease. thats the one that requires the removal of a lock-ring and re-press bearings etc...

the inner seal is your oil seal, easily done at home!

-With the axle supported and wheels off, remove the 4 axle bolts, un-bolt the caliper and hang it in the fender well.(the bolts on the baffle not he pivot bolts)

-slide the axle shaft all the way out

-Pick out the old seal without scratching the tube where the seal seats. If the seal is sitting flush you should be able to knock it in a little deeper to free it up before tugging it out.

-put a thin coat of grease arround the outside of the new seal and in the seat area of the axle tube and evenly tap the seal in with a rubber hammer.

-try to soak up the some oil in the bearings before putting the axle back in. Or displace it with non-clorinated brake cleaner.

-Once the cleaner has evaporated use a grease needle to squirt grease into the bearings while rotating the shaft to circluate it. (any remaining oil will mix with the grease or work its way out and be fine)

-carefully slide the shaft back into place; support the shaft as center as possible so that it does not distort the seal.

Bolt everything up, top off your diff oil and have a nice day.

the outer seal is just a grease seal so its ok if it won't hold oil because all it needs to do is hold grease. thats the one that requires the removal of a lock-ring and re-press bearings etc...

-With the axle supported and wheels off, remove the 4 axle bolts, un-bolt the caliper and hang it in the fender well.(the bolts on the baffle not he pivot bolts)

-Pick out the old seal without scratching the tube where the seal seats. If the seal is sitting flush you should be able to knock it in a little deeper to free it up before tugging it out.

-put a thin coat of grease arround the outside of the new seal and in the seat area of the axle tube and evenly tap the seal in with a rubber hammer.

-try to soak up the some oil in the bearings before putting the axle back in. Or displace it with non-clorinated brake cleaner.

-Once the cleaner has evaporated use a grease needle to squirt grease into the bearings while rotating the shaft to circluate it. (any remaining oil will mix with the grease or work its way out and be fine)

-carefully slide the shaft back into place; support the shaft as center as possible so that it does not distort the seal.

OK...Now that's what I'm talking about! Thanks My1Pathy. So that outer seal behind the rotor and backing plate is just a grease seal ? This mechanic said it was an oil seal, and that you could see where fluid was leaking down to the bottom of the backing plate. I looked and saw "something" leaking ! However it wasn't enough to even accumulate and form a droplet, or leave a stain on the tire or my driveway. Any ideas on the key FOB question ?

Thanks again,

KM

km@frozenrotors.com

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to attempt this tomorrow, I replaced my rear rotors and pads today and the rear passenger side was soked in either gear oil or bearing grease. I couldnt tell which. I am wondering if theres any reason to have to open up the diff? Are there any retaining clips on the inner end of the axle in the ring and pinion end that would keep the axle from sliding out? I've never dug into the rear axle on one of these, and just making sure i'm not in for any suprises. While I have it all apart, I'm also going to replace the parking brake shoes. When I had it apart earlier, I noticed a cut out in the outboard end of the axles to get the retaing hat off so the shoes come free. There doesn't look like theres alot of room to work in there with the axles in place. Do the axles have to come out to replace the parking brake shoes ? If you've done these, could you throw me some insight and tips on getting the old ones out, and the new ones in ?

Thanks, you've provided alot of insight so far.

km@frozenrotors.com