battery and alternator problem

gas92

hello, i was wondering if a bad alternator not charging the battery would cause my 92 to run rough when first started up, tell couple minutes past. didnt start truck for 2 days or so, and battery was dead, then next day was dead again. i let it run for 15min the day before. once i drive, it fine, but if not charging properly, would this affect the computer and injectors.i did a complete tune up, throttle body control, egr valve, mass air flow, were all cleaned, and a injector cleaner through the tank. also there is a blockage in the fuel tank somewere, lots of air when gas cap opened, would this cause it to run rough when first started up. just trying to work all the bugs out.

any help would be great, thanks

Edited by gas92

Generally with an alternator problem there will be three lights on the instrument cluster light up: battery, at temp and brake.

If your alternator is bad, the vehicle will run for awhile off the battery but then die.

If the battery is bad it will not charge fully or at all but will usually run until turned off, sitting will cause the battery to loose power as well.

As to it running bad, that I feel may be a seperate issue. Especially since this vehicle sits a lot?

How old is the battery?

Edited by Alkorahil

Generally with an alternator problem there will be three lights on the instrument cluster light up: battery, at temp and brake.

If your alternator is bad, the vehicle will run for awhile off the battery but then die.

If the battery is bad it will not charge fully or at all but will usually run until turned off, sitting will cause the battery to loose power as well.

As to it running bad, that I feel may be a seperate issue. Especially since this vehicle sits a lot?

How old is the battery?

this is kinda what i was thinking, when it sits there, the battery looses juice. Im not sure how old it is, but probley going to replace it soon.

for it running rough, all the other things are done.i fired it up for the first time of the day, for 2 min ish,then cleaned the idle air valve. put back togeather, drove around the street, it seemed to be better, but had alittle lag, or sputter. for the three weeks i drove it, since bought, it did the sputter, bog thing, but never stall. but 2 days ago, started up and test out my hubs, and it was barley moving, sputtering,boging, real bad, the worst yet.

no back fire from exhaust, but the intake had some cough sounds coming from it. but 3 or 4 min later completely fine. noi smoke from exhaust, just alittle moisture dripping from tailpipe. anyh ideas, thanks for your help

also the excessive air leaving the tank when opining gas cap, what could this affect, besides the tank expanding.

thanks again

Edited by gas92

this is kinda what i was thinking, when it sits there, the battery looses juice. Im not sure how old it is, but probley going to replace it soon.

for it running rough, all the other things are done.i fired it up for the first time of the day, for 2 min ish,then cleaned the idle air valve. put back togeather, drove around the street, it seemed to be better, but had alittle lag, or sputter. for the three weeks i drove it, since bought, it did the sputter, bog thing, but never stall. but 2 days ago, started up and test out my hubs, and it was barley moving, sputtering,boging, real bad, the worst yet.

no back fire from exhaust, but the intake had some cough sounds coming from it. but 3 or 4 min later completely fine. noi smoke from exhaust, just alittle moisture dripping from tailpipe. anyh ideas, thanks for your help

also the excessive air leaving the tank when opining gas cap, what could this affect, besides the tank expanding.

thanks again

so, it was the alternater, that was causing the sputtering, and running rough, we replaced it yesterday, now it runs perfect. we found this out by me dunking the truck up past my pass side seat in water, fried the computer. trouble shooted for six hours, coils, relays, and other @!*%. replaced computer, then truck would keep charge, everything else followed.

all good now. :rolleyes: