engine swap

Guest Snell

i got a 91 Pathfinder, i was wondering if i could replace the boring 3.0 with a 300zx twin tubo engine, there both 3.0 but would it be difficult to do so? please give me some input here guys

the 300zx twin turbo motor will not fit without taking out a signifigant portion of your inner fender wells ... also I belive that the turbos sit a little too low to be able to fit under the hood, and between the frame rails of the pathy ... so a whole engine swap wouldn't be possible without first custom fabricating the manifolds ... a body lift might make this more possible, but I cant confirm that for sure ...

the thing I hate about questions like this is that there are no manuals for doing this ... you just have to be willing to do whatever it takes, and see it through to the end ... is it possible? yes ... depending on your dedication and pocket book, is it probable? probably not ... would it be cool? without question! :cool2:

Hey Snell, from what MatterHorn says, he pretty much has you in the bag... From what I have read, no, the 300ZX will not drop in easy. Is it possible ? Yes. I have seen V8's in bugs... Was that possible ? Yes. Was it easy ? No. It's just about how serious you are, what you are willing to spend, and most important, the mechanical/fab skill of you and your friends. I'm interested in the project, and if you persue it, keep us posted. There may be a 300ZX engine mount kit available out of this ! Standing on the shoulders of giants...

Bernard

thanks for the input guys, this is mostly just a pipe dream for me, id probly flip my pathy if it had 300+ horse power.

There is another way to increase the power. Bore the motor out to 88 mm. However it is my guess that this add will not be noticed. But when you are in there, you port and polish the intake and exhaust, add headers, increase the mass air flow sensor, add a K&N air filter system, possible by new cams that will increase the HP. You can build a a nice motor with added HP.

Then of course there is L&P performance that "builds" a turbo Pathy. After all it is only money. L&P Performance is hard to get a hold of if you were thinking you might go that route. I have been trying Phil for the past 2 weeks with no success.

Good luck.

The real questionis why do you think you need more power in your Pathy??? If you are building a drag Pathy that is one thing, but this forum is for off road. More torque I understand, more HP from the motor I am not sure I understand. The torque answer is gears and cams. Change the the cam and you can get a substantial torque boost.

dont get me wrong, i love off roading and taking my pathy in the snow, but the fact is im on road more than i am off, so added hp would be nice.

i had a question about headers, would putting headers make it harder to get my Pathfinder smoged?

i had a question about headers, would putting headers make it harder to get my Pathfinder smoged?

if it's C.A.R.B. legal, it ought to pass whereever you live. Cali has the strictest emmissions laws anywhere