Squealing Brakes and/or Wheels

mora2818

Hi all, I am at a loss on what my latest problem is. I have a issue that manifests itself only after 10+ minutes of driving. What happens is it sounds as if the caliper is stuck ever so slightly and pushing the pad against the rotor thus a squealing brake. My 97 XE has 153k miles on it so I figured it was just the caliper stuck since they are the original calipers. What I can't figure out is why after replacing the rotors, pads, and caliper the squeal still persists. The wheel bearings were also greased. It seems like something in the wheel assembly is heating up and rubbing against something. Any ideas on what that might be or other ways to identify the issue?

Thanks,

Kevin

I get a little bit of this too, and it seems to manifest after driving for a little bit (say 10 minutes or so, like you).

But it only typically happens at LOW speeds, after a stop, never when I'm cruising down the street.

I recently changed my rotors/pads & greased my bearings. Seems to have helped, but I still hear it from time to time.

I didn't touch the rear drums/shoes. So I wonder if it might be the rears. Because this doesn't sound like it COULD be anything but the brakes.

sounds like it's comming from the front area, happens when it warms up, at low speeds up to 20km/h, I have this problem, center bearing!

It is definitely from the front and not the rear. That I am positive about. I have driven next to my wife in my car and can easily distinguish it is from the front. It typically only happens about from stop to 35mph and anything over that, the noise vanishes or the wind noise is greater than that of the squeal. I'll take a look at the center bearing to see if that is the cause. Thanks for the idea.

-Kevin

sounds like it's comming from the front area, happens when it warms up, at low speeds up to 20km/h, I have this problem, center bearing!

Just so I am clear, when you say center bearing, you are referring to the needle bearing in the service manual?

NeedleBearing.jpg

Thanks,

Kevin