Brake problems with larger tires?

psychopathy

It's interesting to me that several folks in this thread have commented about dissatisfaction with R50 braking..yet when I recently started a thread intended to seek improved braking performance via slotted and/or drilled rotors many commented that they were either unnecessary or would not provide noticeable improvement. Just an interesting observation is all. IF the R50 braking is so bad...what can one do to improve it...other than a rear drum to disc swap. I'm going with plain old rotors but just find it hard to believe that slotted/drilled is all just for a fashion show. Anywho....

To the OP...in theory I would think that braking performance would degrade with increased tire diameter...all other things being equal. I mean...isn't the point of using larger diameter rotors to improve braking? By increasing rotor size with a given tire/wheel combo..one decreases the difference between rotor diameter and tire diameter to get better braking. Go the other way...and increase the diameter difference and that should decrease braking performance, no? Just another possibly weird way of looking at it. Now...at what point can one NOTICE or even MEASURE any of this to make the differences meaningfulwhen pressing that pedal next to the gas...well that's another question altogether I suppose.

When it comes to braking performance, there's a multitude of factors involved. It goes beyond getting slotted/cross-drilled rotors. All rotors do is provide a surface for the pad to grab... That being said, how would slots/drilled holes improve that? Upgrading the pads, calipers and lines are all equally important if you want to improve braking. While increasing the diameter is a start, OEM pads still remain as such. Just because you've increased the rotor diameter, the OEM pad size hasn't changed. Essentially, these larger rotors are being put to no use. Upgrading the to larger, higher-quality material pads and more capable rotors is only so good as the pressure being applied. That means larger calipers are needed to handle that increased pressure over a greater surface, which means brake fluid should be upgraded, too.

Think of racing applications. Just like with suspension, engine and transmission applications, you can't simply upgrade one part and expect some noticeably immense improvement in performance. It would be nice if it were that easy, though. ;)

As for noticing a difference between my braking and so-called "stock" braking, there are several factors to consider. Based on my experience with both, I haven't noticed a difference that is in any way significant. However, that's regular driving in normal conditions.

When it comes to braking performance, there's a multitude of factors involved. It goes beyond getting slotted/cross-drilled rotors. All rotors do is provide a surface for the pad to grab... That being said, how would slots/drilled holes improve that? Upgrading the pads, calipers and lines are all equally important if you want to improve braking. While increasing the diameter is a start, OEM pads still remain as such. Just because you've increased the rotor diameter, the OEM pad size hasn't changed. Essentially, these larger rotors are being put to no use. Upgrading the to larger, higher-quality material pads and more capable rotors is only so good as the pressure being applied. That means larger calipers are needed to handle that increased pressure over a greater surface, which means brake fluid should be upgraded, too.

Think of racing applications. Just like with suspension, engine and transmission applications, you can't simply upgrade one part and expect some noticeably immense improvement in performance. It would be nice if it were that easy, though. ;)

As for noticing a difference between my braking and so-called "stock" braking, there are several factors to consider. Based on my experience with both, I haven't noticed a difference that is in any way significant. However, that's regular driving in normal conditions.

Well I understand that at least the theory is that slots or drilled holes help dissipate gas and heat created in the braking process. The braking process converts kinetic energy of the vehicle's motion to thermal energy meaning heat transferred to the rotors. Dissipate the heat faster and improve braking performance. One reason why many rotors are vented in the center. Downside of drilled is potential to crack...downside of both is likely faster pad wear...and not totally sure but don't believe either can be turned....at least not easily or properly by most garages.

I totally get you on the "system" approach to braking..there are many components to it working together. Being as my rubber lines are 13 years old I'm definitely going with braided lines...a suggestion for the OP to consider as well.

I was thinking of sticking with OEM for rotors, pads, shoes, and maybe even drums. Any recommendations on pads? Hawk? I'm kind of committed to sticking with ceramic as my OEM pads have given me zero noise or dust...a big reason I'll probably stick with OEM pads too.