17" LE 4X4 Mud Tires?

Bassomatic

Hello. My 2003 LE 4x4 has the stock 17" wheels, the stock tire size is 245/65 R17. I cannot find a mud terrain tire in the stock size. If anyone knows of a mud terrain in the stock size let me know; however, I cannot find one anywhere.

My question is, can I fit a 245/70 R17 on the stock rim without any issues?

Thanks for the help!

The tire is the same width so it'll fit. The 245 relates to the width of the tire being 245mm, the 70 relates to the diameter of the tire proportional to the width.

You could fit any vast array of tires on your vehicle and rims, the important thing to know is how wide your rims are, not just the diameter. The problem you are more likely to face when putting larger tires on your vehicle is them rubbing against the bumper, fender, or wheel well liner. Take a look at this thread to get an idea of what other people run.

The one other thing to note is that in terms of offroad tires, a 17" is rare so you are limited in your selection. 15" rims are the most common. 16" and 16.5" rims are also fairly common but generally only for much larger tires. I think the majority of people on these forums with "offroad" type tires are running 15" rims.

Edited by Zibi

The tire is the same width so it'll fit. The 245 relates to the width of the tire being 245mm, the 70 relates to the diameter of the tire proportional to the width.

You could fit any vast array of tires on your vehicle and rims, the important thing to know is how wide your rims are, not just the diameter. The problem you are more likely to face when putting larger tires on your vehicle is them rubbing against the bumper, fender, or wheel well liner. Take a look at this thread to get an idea of what other people run.

The one other thing to note is that in terms of offroad tires, a 17" is rare so you are limited in your selection. 15" rims are the most common. 16" and 16.5" rims are also fairly common but generally only for much larger tires. I think the majority of people on these forums with "offroad" type tires are running 15" rims.

Thanks for the help! So I can put 245/70 R17 size mud tires and I will be OK, right? Thanks again.

Should be ok. Might rub a tad on the plastic wheel well liner, but that's an easy fix- just trim/cut/fasten it back.

So if my math is correct, the stock size(height) sidewall is 6.26 inches, and the size I am considering will have a sidewall size of 6.75, so a half inch higher if I am correct is not a big deal.