Stuck in Drive...

Adam

This morning started out fairly normal. I replaced my valve cover gaskets, my intake manifold gasket(between the upper manifold and the plenum), and my throttlebody gasket. Those solved ALL of my rough running issues, as well as my terrible oil leak... So I take it driving around, and it's running beautifully, it's got more power, etc. 20 minutes into my drive, I notice it won't go into neutral or reverse. It's stuck in Drive right now. When it's in Park, it won't free-rev, it stops around 1500, where the clutches provide resistance... When I drive it, I have to use 1 and 2, if I put it in D or any other position, it will accelerate up to where I've got the gas pressed, then when I back off the gas it tries to downshift, I'll be doing 45-50 and it'll try to downshift to first, revs will jump to redline, until I put it back into 2nd. Any ideas? I recently installed a transmission cooler as well, and I towed a Volvo 240DL across DFW for a friend of mine, with no issues.

Trans was replaced before the previous owner sold me the vehicle, and I've cracked open the trans pan and it still looks brand new under there, so I don't really have a reason to doubt that it's got a fresh trans.

I've been in cars that would down shift when you lift off the gas,and others that wouldnt shift out of a gear,but I've never heard of this.So I'm sorry but I cant be of any help.Will it start if you shut it off?If so its not stuck in drive or anything.But this is the basics,check the shift linkage(you have the floor mounted RE4R01A) and the throttle wire.

I've been in cars that would down shift when you lift off the gas,and others that wouldnt shift out of a gear,but I've never heard of this.So I'm sorry but I cant be of any help.Will it start if you shut it off?If so its not stuck in drive or anything.But this is the basics,check the shift linkage(you have the floor mounted RE4R01A) and the throttle wire.

It'll start fine when put in Park, though it's still in gear, it's just locked by the parking lock. Like I said, linkage is working properly.

Edited by Adam

Someone else on another forum said it sounds like theres something in the system that's clogging up one of the valves. Suggested running a solvent through it to flush out the system, then replace the filter and the fluid...

Well, my first guess would be an issue with the linkage. I'm not an auto tranny pro so my only suggestion is that you go to the Garage section, download the FSM for the 94 model and follow the auto tranny diagnostic procedure that is defined. It might not give you the answer but it could rule things out or give ideas of what may have happened. Besides, it's free and can be done right away.

B

Well, my first guess would be an issue with the linkage. I'm not an auto tranny pro so my only suggestion is that you go to the Garage section, download the FSM for the 94 model and follow the auto tranny diagnostic procedure that is defined. It might not give you the answer but it could rule things out or give ideas of what may have happened. Besides, it's free and can be done right away.

B

Tried that just now, that was beyond confusing, and I couldn't get anything of value from trying it. Can't put the shifter in D in ACC mode, it's locked.

Have you tried putting a 5-speed in between the engine and transfer case? That solved all my autotragic tranny problems. :jk:

But seriously,

Try to get in touch with Barry(NissanNut) he lives close-by you and he's the only person I know of that has really dug into one of our auto-tranny's just for information reasons. He is usually found on nissantrailriders.com

Have you tried putting a 5-speed in between the engine and transfer case? That solved all my autotragic tranny problems. :jk:

But seriously,

Try to get in touch with Barry(NissanNut) he lives close-by you and he's the only person I know of that has really dug into one of our auto-tranny's just for information reasons. He is usually found on nissantrailriders.com

I'm running some Seafoam trans flush through it right now, if this doesn't resolve it, I'm going 5 speed swap. I've already sourced the parts locally, can have the trans for around 350-400.

No change today, looks like manual swap will be a lock, if I can't sort out my GI Bill money soon, I'll be able to start the swap the 1st of next month. Won't need my vehicle most of this month, so I'm alright without right now.

Tried that just now, that was beyond confusing, and I couldn't get anything of value from trying it. Can't put the shifter in D in ACC mode, it's locked.

Sorry, I can't be of more help. Too bad you are so far away, I have a parts truck with a manual tranny sitting in the driveway... :shrug:

B

If I were in your area I'd definitely help you out knowing how big of a PITA that job is. I did it mostly by myself in my cramped garage in the middle of the winter. I only almost killed myself several times by dropping the tranny off the jack and almost onto myself. It's a beast outside the truck, and it's nothing less than a monster when it's unbolted under the truck.

I just priced the VG33 locally, I'm gonna have the money on the 1st, so I think I'm going to go ahead and do the VG33E swap. Can get one for 600-750 locally, and I'll keep watching between now and the 1st for a better deal.